Masamoto KS WaGyuto 240 mm hitachi white 2# is now out of stock in Tokyo ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunti01

Reaction score
I am going to Masamoto Sohonten shop in Tokyo, Japan to buy a Masamoto KS WaGyuto . I heard that now they are out of stock. Is it true? When it will be available?

best to find their contacts and ask them directly if you're gonna get it from them. =D

Or you can order them from the many vendors on Rakuten and have it shipped to you in japan.

or just go to masamoto tsukiji? I realize they're different companies but nobody's been able to articulate the difference in their knives, if any

or just go to masamoto tsukiji? I realize they're different companies but nobody's been able to articulate the difference in their knives, if any

The same knives are not available at Masamoto Tsukiji based on my experience.

When I went to Masamoto Tsukiji (the main shop just outside the fish market) last year, there was no KS White #2 Gyuto equivalent being sold there. In addition, Masamoto Tsukiji sells a whole line of White #1 single bevel knives, below Blue #1, which is below Honyaki; the majority of Masamoto Sohonten knives sold or that are available are White #2.

masamoto tsukiji only makes V1 or SK3 carbon wa gyuto & VG1 stainless wa gyuto. profile is slightly different than KS....more round tip.

The same knives are not available at Masamoto Tsukiji based on my experience.

When I went to Masamoto Tsukiji (the main shop just outside the fish market) last year, there was no KS White #2 Gyuto equivalent being sold there. In addition, Masamoto Tsukiji sells a whole line of White #1 single bevel knives, below Blue #1, which is below Honyaki; the majority of Masamoto Sohonten knives sold or that are available are White #2.

could be for gyuotos- I was there in november (also outside market shop) but was looking more at single-bevels, where they do use white 1 and 2. I ended up buying at aritsugu rather than masamoto, but the masamoto head guy is quite a character so definitely worth the trip

--EDIT aha, so there's the answer above.

Last edited:
the masamoto tsukiji sk3 carbon gyuto is cheaper than the ks gyuto, a pretty good deal imo. The sk3 carbon sharpens quite easily. I've played around with my friend's, he picked it up from the tsukiji store.

OP I assume the shop in Tokyo is a reseller, as far as I know Masamoto Sohonten does not have a store front.

OP I assume the shop in Tokyo is a reseller, as far as I know Masamoto Sohonten does not have a store front.

What do you mean? Masamoto Sohonten has a store in Tokyo.

What do you mean? Masamoto Sohonten has a store in Tokyo.

I was not aware of them having a storefront, but you are correct I was wrong. I had to look it up to be sure but even found this picture (any idea of when it opened?)

w6lr.jpg

Latest posts

Back