Quantcast
Naniwa Chosera 3000 cracking?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naniwa Chosera 3000 cracking?

Naniwa Chosera 3000 cracking?

Soooooooo what gives? Seem to be getting hairline cracks in the stone. There also seems to be some kind of dark spot/stain in the other side. I treat it exactly the same as my Chosera 1000, and nothing has happened to that stone. Am I doing something wrong? I soak the stone for about 30 minutes, flatten probably every other time I use it with a DMT XX course, and when I'm done I let the stones dry completely. Any suggestions would be nice, not trying to destroy an expensive stone. Thanks!

T

There was a recent discussion about the same topic recently.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...oads-of-cracks

See Dave's suggestions in post #5 and #11.

Seems to be becoming a more common problem with Chocera.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

I'm positive that these problems (cracking Choseras) are due in great part to them being baseless. You see the based version was all that was sold until an fake surgeon (AKA - an idiot) came along and convinced the first US retailer to order a batch of baseless Choseras. This then set the precedence of baseless Naniwas being sold in the US as demand (and competition) was high. Now the customers are paying the price of the stupidity of others.

These stones flex and warp and even disintegrate if soaked long enough. They are so much more stable if mounted to a base. Only order Choseras that are mounted on a base OR mount them immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I'm positive that these problems (cracking Choseras) are due in great part to them being baseless. You see the based version was all that was sold until an fake surgeon (AKA - an idiot) came along and convinced the first US retailer to order a batch of baseless Choseras. This then set the precedence of baseless Naniwas being sold in the US as demand (and competition) was high. Now the customers are paying the price of the stupidity of others.

These stones flex and warp and even disintegrate if soaked long enough. They are so much more stable if mounted to a base. Only order Choseras that are mounted on a base OR mount them immediately!
    Dave, is that also true of the Superstones?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The Chosera's are splash and go stones. They should not be soaked. I know some people think it works better when soaked. According to the vender I bought them knives & tools. Dutch branch of Eden webshop Naniwa states these stones should not be soaked. This could explain the cracking. The 3000 seems to be softer than the 1000. This could explain the 3000 crash cracking earlier.
    Off coarse I haven't sold them like Dave, so mounting sounds like a "stable" thing to do! All my chosera's are with a base

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The base won't prevent them from cracking, but will make the consequences less dramatic.

I've seen a lot of posts about choseras cracking. So seems like a common thing. The only one that seems to be less likely to crack is Chosera 800. I would follow Dave advice and mount it. For myself I made a decision that if I buy another chosera (unlikely atm) it will be a mounted one.

While Dave will have better info. Superstones seems to be pretty crack resistant. Do not soak them for more then 5 minutes though.

I read this on Fine-Tools:

IMPORTANT NOTE on storage and lubrication: Chosera sharpening stones are bound with magnesium and so have more cutting particles per unit of surface than resin-bound stones. But magnesium-bound stones are much more sensitive to prolonged exposure to water as other types of stones. So Chosera stones should NOT be left to soak in water for prolonged periods and must be stored dry. If this advice is not followed the stones can develop hairline cracks or the binding material can be leached out of the stone. It is more than enough to pour a little water on the surface or briefly dip the stones in water, they do not need to be soaked. If you are not sure that you can keep this always in mind, perhaps because you have a number of different kinds of sharpening stones, it may be better to opt for the more tolerant Super Stones.

From a other forum I read that it could also be caused by not drying evenly. To prevent the outside drying much faster than the inside you can dry the stone with a microfiber cloth after sharpening. Then wrap the stone with this damp cloth to prevent the outside drying much faster.

You should flatten your stone to get rid of the hairlines and stop them getting any bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post

I can't recall ever hearing about a Superstone cracking although maybe I have and just forgot, sure doesn't ring a bell as being a problem like the Choseras are.