Thinning damascus knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
I would imagine this completely ruins the beautiful damascus pattern. Is there a way to thin them without ruining the damascus?

I recall reading somewhere that the best way to restore the pattern is to re-etch the knife. Interested to hear how damascus owners maintain their knives...

If your decent at thinning it kinda looks cool and it depends on the damascus. But usually if you care alot about apperence I think you would re etch it. But after awhile a worn in kitchen knife is something beautifull in itself.

Yes thinning your damascus knife on a coarse stone will scratch it up. You will have to move it on up to finer stones to polish it off at least to a 10k-13k finishing stone to get a nice shine. then use a fine buffing/polishing compound to touch it up. Dont expect it to look the way it did when it came out of the box but that usually gets it looking normal for me.

Yes thinning your damascus knife on a coarse stone will scratch it up. You will have to move it on up to finer stones to polish it off at least to a 10k-13k finishing stone to get a nice shine. then use a fine buffing/polishing compound to touch it up. Dont expect it to look the way it did when it came out of the box but that usually gets it looking normal for me.
Do you use the same thinning motion? I am not sure how to polish. I see some polishing videos where they use fingerstones same direction as blade but not sure if you should do that with full stones.

I thin and do w/e I need to do without worrying about the cladding and then sand the entire thing up to 2500 grit sandpaper and then reetch using ferric chloride. Once etched, lightly sand with the highest grit sandpaper available.

there is absolutely no need to go to a 10-13k stone for this... its totally possible to get a very nice looking finish with much less work. Also, depending on the type of damascus, it is possible to create a similar look (or at least some contrast) using various stones that do that well

Back