Sous Vide Vacuum-packed meat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Since we now have this sub-forum to ask dumb questions, here is one: I want to make pork tenderloin this next weekend. Depending on where I buy it, that already comes in a vacuum package with some brine. What would be preferable: Just leaving it in the package and throwing it into the SV, clean and season after cooking OR taking it out, cleaning, seasoning and using a zip lock bag to 'cook' it? Same question probably works for other vacuumed meat pieces. Any thoughts?

Stefan

I would open it up, make sure no silverskin, season it and reseal it. I don't know what's in the brine, etc. That being said maybe you should do a A/B comparison with pics?

Stefan, buy fresh tenderloin. Don't worry about the silver skin. Sure I remove but it's really novel.

Brine:
1/2 cup kosher salt
Quart water (purified )
Some sugar
Tsp baking soda

Brine 2 hr, then rinse, dry, let open in frig. one hour.

Ready for your recipe

Thanks guys, that's where I am leaning anyway. Fresh tenderloin out here means Wholefoods, so I better go there Sat morning. Gotta look at Costco also, I rarely buy meat there - as a single with very limited freezer space, the packages are a bit large... Wish we had a real old-fashioned butcher anywhere. But almost all meat comes into the islands already packaged.

Stefan

Brine is not really essential; on a shortish cook it fixes the protein leakage that spoils appearance. Salting meat prior to SV can change the taste from fresh to braised fairly quickly. If this is an effect you want; go for it otherwise salt after searing.

Typically for tenderloin a really short cook is best to avoid protein breakdown; give mine 45 to 75 min at 62C. Let sit on bench for 5 min before unbagging. Dry with towels then sit to flash off moisture, sear when cooler and let the overrun bring it up to about 64C.

Key is not to go too long; you can get some SV textures that are a bit nasty; aim for perfectly done as it would be on the stove top.

I have found when I sous vide brining to the same level as I would in normal cooking makes everything way too salty. I made some halibut last week where I did the usual brining to minimize albumin and after sous viding it was practically uneatably salty. SO I am still looking for a way to brine fish before sous viding.

I really can't add much to the rather educated responses you already have except to say that it would be wise to re-bag in a material know to be safe for this type of application...no telling what's in that plastic that it comes in.

Also: I LOVE these tenderloins seared over a very hot charcoal fire, then hot-smoked (about 200F) for 20 minutes, rest whole overnight in fridge, then slice on bias to create oblong medallions perfect for slider-type sandwiches (cibatta can be nice for this). Serve cold, really brings out the smoky flavor.

Back