Good stone for toothy edges

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent stone to leave toothy edges on gyutos.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

At the moment, I have in mind the JNS synthetic red aoto, Gesshin 4000, and Chosera 3000...

Can't comment on the red aoto or the Chosera, but I sure do like the edge I get with my Gesshin 4000. Both my gyutos are carbon; one 52100 and the other white #2.

If I want to go for a bity edge, I start with a Chosera 800, strop and deburr on a Chosera 2k, deburr on a Naniwa 8k Snow-white.

Depends how toothy you want it to be. There is nothing wrong on stopping on lower grit, like 2K or even 1K if that's what you need.

With quality steel on 1K can remove most all of burr with a very light sideways stroke on burr side. Any residual, couple measured sweeps on newsprint.

Depends how toothy you want it to be. There is nothing wrong on stopping on lower grit, like 2K or even 1K if that's what you need.

Agreed. You really have to define "toothy."

Remember this?

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true." :lol2:

Back