Regarding Masamoto KS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPoirot

Reaction score
Dear experts, (everyone but me)

When it comes to non custom knives, Masamoto KS Gyutos seem to be held in very high regard. Partly for their steel, and also for their profile and other factors i'm not able to appreciate now.

Do the characteristics of the KS series apply to other knives? I hardly hear them being mentioned.

I'm looking at a Masamoto KS Yanagiba, but it's a huge premium over the other W2 yanagibas, so i was wondering if i should just take the plunge, seeing as this will likely be the only yanagiba i buy. (yea right, they say)

Good point. Is 'just because' a good enough reason? haha

But it's strictly for nigiri and sashimi. And i love the idea of making paper sashimi!

I'm a home cook but i love making nigiri for my gf. I'll be lying if i said this will be a important addition to my repertoire, and i do know a suji can be a better addition, and i'm aware of the limitations of a yanagiba.

On the higher end it's either this or an Aritsugu W2.

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

You may find a bit less enthusiasm among some members while others still hold it in high regards--the KS gyuto that is. I am only a double bevel guy myself so can't offer anything on the yani.

If you are interested in finding the best knife for the money I suggest starting a new thread using the "which knife should I buy questionnaire" as there may be better options. Both of those makers were popular years back and their knives are still good, but there are many good or better options than either the KS or the Aritsuga.

This thread is from when I still had my KS a little over a year ago.

I used a KS yanagiba for a long time, and it is a very solid performer.

Masamoto KS yanagiba was my second sashimi knife and it was a solid performer. In fact, I have been using only Masamoto single bevel knives. I don't how it compare to others but you do pay a premium for them.

Back