Need gyuto recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey guys I had my kit stolen and I'm searching for a gyuto that can be my main knife and use for everything as I can only afford one knife for now.

The ones that come to mind are-
Marko
Mario
Catchside (never used would like feedback if possible)
Susin inox honyaki
Bloodroot blades

I need something that has excellent edge retention, is tough and has good geometry for slicing.

I am ok with carbon or stainless. 225-250mm.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions of ones I didn't list.

Thanks

A Haburn probably deserves a place on that list. I've had the opportunity to "test drive" two of his knives, the first was good, the 2nd gooder.

Gengetsu is the best fit for me for "off the shelf" knives.

What do you like / dislike about about the knives you've used?

Hey guys I had my kit stolen and I'm searching for a gyuto that can be my main knife and use for everything as I can only afford one knife for now.

The ones that come to mind are-
Marko
Mario
Catchside (never used would like feedback if possible)
Susin inox honyaki
Bloodroot blades

I need something that has excellent edge retention, is tough and has good geometry for slicing.

I am ok with carbon or stainless. 225-250mm.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions of ones I didn't list.

Thanks

My understanding is that Mario isn't actively making knives, so you'll have to hope to find one on BST.

I'd add the Gesshin Kagero to that list if you're OK with a western handled knife. If not, I've really enjoyed by Gesshin Kagekiyo Ginsanko 240 gyuto.

suisin inox honyaki. They are nice and thin, great for slicing, always liked those handles too.

Have you tried the Akifusa/Kagero knives? Retention is amazing.

A Haburn probably deserves a place on that list. I've had the opportunity to "test drive" two of his knives, the first was good, the 2nd gooder.

Gengetsu is the best fit for me for "off the shelf" knives.

What do you like / dislike about about the knives you've used?

I will definitely look into it Dave.

Marko and Mario both make superior knives and are high on my list. However Mario being inactive is your and the wait time for Marko could be hard to deal with in my current situation. Both knives surpass all my expectations.

Latest posts

Back