Smaller/line knife options?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I'm looking to make my next knife addition and I'm searching for a sturdy stainless knife that I can use when I'm on the line and space is at a premium and something a little smaller would be easier to maneuver in close quarters. I was thinking a 180mm would be about right but most lines of gyutos I've been looking at aren't available shorter than 210mm. I could also go for the santoku but 170mm might be a little too small but I could be overthinking it here.

Anyways I am intrigued by the hattori fh but the smallest gyuto is in 210mm. I like the fact that it is monosteal and the design seems really well thought out and I've heard good things about it. I'm also intrigued by the akifusa pm and it's available in 180mm in both the gyuto and santoku styles.I could also look into some custom knives but they might be out of my price range.

So basically I'm wondering whether a santoku or gyuto is a more versatile profile and if 210mm would be too large or not since it would open up more knife options if it wasn't. Was also wondering what other professional cooks' experiences were with this.

Thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully it wasn't too confusing to understand!

Hiromoto 190mm santoku and Misono 195mm gyuto are options from JCK.

Have you looked at the Gesshin Ginga petty knives? They come in 180 and 210 lengths.

Thanks for the replies guys! The hiromoto santoku in Ginsanko was sold out on jck but there was a 180mm gyuto available so that might be an option.

As for the gingas I think the blade is a little slim for me. I would worry about knuckle clearance. Also, I think I would be a bit scared to bring a laser into a hectic work environment. I currently have a 240 uraku and almost got the ginga before jon talked me out of it actually! So good suggestion just not quite what I'm looking for.

For what its worth, 180mm is just too short to make a good line knife... you cant slice single portions of things without sawing for the most part.

For what its worth, 180mm is just too short to make a good line knife... you cant slice single portions of things without sawing for the most part.

Especially the 180mm Sakai knives like Gesshin Ginga, konosuke etc, etc...The actual edge length is more like 165mm or so.

Heel to tip on the Gesshin Ginga suji 240 is listed at 228/34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's up to you to choose the length but I can say the 180mm Akifusa gyuto I have at home is working quite well for many tasks that don't require a longer blade. It is a thin but sturdy option that sharpens up very well. I like the small tip of the gyuto more than the santoku shape. :2cents:

So after reading through all the responses in this thread and spending way too much time researching I've changed my criteria. I want a slimmer 210mm stainless gyuto or a sujihiki with a western handle. I'm intrigued by the 210 ginga petty but I still worry about how thin it is and I would prefer some more height on it. I'm still considering the hattori fh and akifusa or gesshin kagero at 210mm I still prefer something with the slimmer sujihiki/petty profile although the above gyutos are on the shorter side of the gyuto spectrum.

Still searching for that elusive perfect knife that checks all those boxes but at least I have a little better sense of what I'm looking for.

So after reading through all the responses in this thread and spending way too much time researching I've changed my criteria. I want a slimmer 210mm stainless gyuto or a sujihiki with a western handle. I'm intrigued by the 210 ginga petty but I still worry about how thin it is and I would prefer some more height on it. I'm still considering the hattori fh and akifusa or gesshin kagero at 210mm I still prefer something with the slimmer sujihiki/petty profile although the above gyutos are on the shorter side of the gyuto spectrum.

Still searching for that elusive perfect knife that checks all those boxes but at least I have a little better sense of what I'm looking for.

This Suisin Inox Western 240mm suji may be of interest to you.http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...stern/suisin-inox-western-240mm-sujihiki.html I know its a 240mm not a 210mm...but you might appreciate the extra inch or so of edge length. Friendly price tag too.

You want good stainless, not too narrow, western handle. Sounds like the Gesshin Kagero.

Tojiro makes a 180 Gyuto. I have one, and it is nice - but I wish I had gotten a 210. It has a thin blade and the VG10 holds a good edge for a long time.

Tojiro makes a 180 Gyuto. I have one, and it is nice - but I wish I had gotten a 210. It has a thin blade and the VG10 holds a good edge for a long time.

Got this as a gift for a family member, used it, really enjoyed it. As soon as funds are ample I need to make a similar line-oriented purchase and have this high on my list. Was also considering a 210 petty, but would like something that can be rocked if blasting herbs a-la-minute.

Latest posts

Back