Hello from freezing cold Finland

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattiwatti

Reaction score
Hello all!

Thank you for this very informative and polite forum, happy to be joining here.

I am a home cook from Finland with a bit of culinary background years ago. Stumbled here after reading BDL´s texts from another forum and watching Jons great sharpening videos on youtube. I have always had a soft spot for good kitchen knives. After reading a while in here about sharpening and Japanese knives, I realized I didn’t know a thing and I think I’m developing a serious addiction. :)

Now I want to try some (hopefully not too many ;) new Japanese knives and I´m eager to get some nice whetstones, so I can learn freehand sharpening and properly maintain all of my knives. I´ve just used a honing steel (F. Dick Combi) and a terrible Chef´s Choice Edge Craft diamond “sharpening file/steel” that my local kitchenware store fooled me to buy… Luckily I have used the Edge Craft thingy only on cheap stainless and once on my MAC.

I have a few European knives (Victorinox set, F. Dick fish filleting knife) and a MAC nakiri. The fish filleting knife is as cheap as you can get, but that´s the one I learned to fillet fish with, when I worked in a fish market counter in the middle of my culinary studies. I just bought a new one to replace my dear old workhorse that I got from the fish shop when I left there. It’s funny how thrilled you can get over a 20$ piece of steel.

Anywho, nice to meet you and beware of silly beginner questions I´m going to be asking soon!

Welcome!

I say get some whetstones to practice sharpening on the King 1k/6k is a good starter stone

Welcome aboard Hatti. So how cold us it?

Greetings Hattiwatti!

To get you started in the right direction, maybe a few videos from one of our forum vendors to get you up to speed on sharpening. His playlist can be found here.

Thanks guys for the welcomes!

I would be grateful for your expertise if anyone of you can chime in on this one. You can take the short route if the newbie rant/wall of text feels exhausting. :)

Welcome!

I say get some whetstones to practice sharpening on the King 1k/6k is a good starter stone

Thanks for the suggestion, heard good things about the stone, but I think I´m ready to go straight all in and feed my addiction.

Welcome aboard Hatti. So how cold us it?

Now it´s not that bad, warmed up to -2°C/30°F from -15°C/5°F that it was, here in south… How is it there?

Greetings Hattiwatti!

To get you started in the right direction, maybe a few videos from one of our forum vendors to get you up to speed on sharpening. His playlist can be found here.

Thanks Chinacats for the link, but those were the videos I was referring to in my post, I´m enjoying them a lot.

Back