Tojiro DP Honesuki any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been eating a lot of chicken lately, and I'd like to get a honesuki. Bluewayjapan has the Tojiro for under $70 shipped. Good knife? I'd be happy to spend more if it got me a good benefit, but a low maintenance stainless knife for this use doesn't seem like a bad idea.

First time getting this kind of knife I presume, cheap enough to try it out and if you like it can always get a better one down the road

I have recently bought Tojiro DP santoku and I am testing it right now - the honesuki may be a great deal IMO. The VG-10 from Tojiro takes really great edge and there are quite a few pros around that use Tojiro Honesuki for years.

Little off topic, but my Tojiro VG-10 cleaver is a very capable blade.:viking:

I like the DP honesuki. That thing takes an absolute beating, edge retention is fine and sharpening is not a problem.

Did you see this video?
[video=youtube;joRW4ADlajM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRW4ADlajM[/video]
It is pretty asymmetrical: flat left side, convex right side. I dont know if this is the case will all western honesukis

Holds up well to abuse ( going through chicken backs). I'm a home cook so I can't say how good is the edge retention.
F&F is mediocre at best: thick gaps between handle and bolster filled with glue.
This would make a great rehandle.

Did you see this video?
[video=youtube;joRW4ADlajM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRW4ADlajM[/video]
It is pretty asymmetrical: flat left side, convex right side. I dont know if this is the case will all western honesukis

Holds up well to abuse ( going through chicken backs). I'm a home cook so I can't say how good is the edge retention.
F&F is mediocre at best: thick gaps between handle and bolster filled with glue.
This would make a great rehandle.

Sounds like I made a good choice then, thanks. I've owned other Tojiro DP knives, so I know about the F&F issues. A true asymmetrical honesuki is exactly what I wanted.

Sounds like I made a good choice then, thanks. I've owned other Tojiro DP knives, so I know about the F&F issues. A true asymmetrical honesuki is exactly what I wanted.

I bought one about three years ago, I use it once or twice a week breaking down chickens (home cook) I have never even thought about upgrading it, I think it will serve you well.

I received the knife yesterday, and used it today. F&F wise, this is by far the best Tojiro DP I've handled. Nothing stands proud on the handle, and there are no gaps. I used it today, and you'd almost think the thing was made specifically for butchering chickens. ;) I'm very happy with it.

Back