• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Entry level Chinese cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo87

Banned
Reaction score
Looking to try a cleaver for a bit of fun. I don't mind if it's in poor condition. Id prefer carbon, an old cck or something but I'm pretty open to anything. Not looking at spending too much money either.
Anyone got anything laying around they don't use anymore?

Nearly every Asian supermarket will have some cheap ones for about $20

Thanks for the suggestion. I really don't know a lot about cleavers are the $20 Asian grocery ones any good though? I think id prefer to start with something a little nicer but still entry level . Say $150ish max

$150 is not entry level. This: http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/vegcleav.html is entry level and it outperforms my stainless and semi-stainless Japanese knives in terms of edge stability and usability. You just have to know how to sharpen and thin out blades. There is a bit of overgrind on mine, the handle could use some wood finishing and the handle and blade join could be sealed so water doesn't go through the handle but beside that, it is my go to knife.

The $20 in Asian stores are prob not very good. There are good ones from dazu in Sichuan province of China. cheap, carbon, forged, horrible f&f with good geometry, but quite hard to find.

$150 is not entry level.

You know your a knife nut when....

Are you looking for a slicer (thin) or chopper ( med)?

For a entry cleaver I'd say look at the CCK for carbon, Russell for stainless. The tojiro stainless vg 10 cleavers are pretty good as well but on the higher side of your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing you Aussies have more of than Shigs is cleavers. Where's Josh when you need him?

$150 is not entry level.

Apologies... Let me rephrase. Looking for a carbon cleaver under $150

Mikehl : looking for a slicer

At the moment as I'm in au if nothing pops up here I'll grab something from JCK the kagayaki or the suien.

Apologies... Let me rephrase. Looking for a carbon cleaver under $150

Mikehl : looking for a slicer

At the moment as I'm in au if nothing pops up here I'll grab something from JCK the kagayaki or the suien.

Lol, I've been contemplating the Kagayaki for a while. I'm interested in a cleaver as well and did actually find a cheap one at a hospitality supplies store (well my family did for Christmas). Not impressed at all. I'd love to try that wokshop one, exactly what I'm after. I'll have to check if they deliver (reliably) to Australia. FTR, this is what they got.....

http://www.kitchendiscounts.com.au/buy/davis-waddell-chinese-cleaver/D4385

I had a new Chan Chi Kee KF-1301 slicer for sale.

$150 is not entry level. This: http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/vegcleav.html is entry level and it outperforms my stainless and semi-stainless Japanese knives in terms of edge stability and usability. You just have to know how to sharpen and thin out blades. There is a bit of overgrind on mine, the handle could use some wood finishing and the handle and blade join could be sealed so water doesn't go through the handle but beside that, it is my go to knife.

Does anyone know how much this cleaver weighs?

Todd i think it says it under the description 8.25" long x 3.5" wide (1.5 lb). If im not mistaken.

The 'only' advantage you'll get with a higher priced cleaver, is better steel/FF. The CCK 1301 is where it's at IMO, not quite as imposing as a full sized #6 cleaver, but still gives you a sense of the versatility of the chukabocho. I used one for a couple years in a pro kitchen. They're rough and rugged, take tons of abuse, and are relatively easy to sharpen. Edge retention isn't great, but they're ground so thin, that it hardly matters. They don't get the same love that they used to, as the U.S. retailer isn't favored around these parts... That being said- if you do a bit of Google-fu you should be able to find one for around $60, shipping included.

Cheers,

- Josh

Guys thank you all for your sound advice. I could not care less about F&F... that's fixable and I enjoy a project :) Only care about reasonable steel quality.

Looks like I may have a cck in the pipeline... I'll keep you posted

I agree with everything brainsausage said about the CCK. I had one for a year or so. Fun knife. I upgraded to a larger cleaver. I also bought one of the wokshop vegetable cleavers to leave at my parents when I visit. 266 grams, just about exactly the same size and shape as the CCK, but a little more poorly finished. I also have a cleaver from a different manufacturer that I rather like on the cheap end of things- San Hang Nga, or what the wok shop calls "Kongmoon." It is a #2 cleaver, so quite a bit heavier. I use it for rough stuff.

The Kongmoon I have (got it at a thrift store) is a carbon steel one, but has the same integrated handle as the ones on the wok shop's site.
http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/stainsteelcl.html
Don't know how the stainless that the wok shop has compares to the carbon steel one I have, but the shape is quite comfortable. The spine is very thick (but there is a LOT of distal taper), so it is very natural and comfortable in a pinch grip. That's a bit unlike the CCK and the work shop vegetable slicer- on those, the blades are so thing, you'll really have a tad of discomfort until you get a callus in the right place, because the blade is so thin, even after you round it. Anyway, reason I mention it is that IF wok shop ships 2 cleavers for the same shipping as one, then it could be fun to have a light-duty one (the vegetable cleaver) and then something more monstrous (the #2), and the whole shebang would only cost you $10 (veg cleaver) + $12 (Kungmoon #2) + $8 shipping = $30.

Mine is 278 grams or 9.8 oz. Doesn't feel that heavy as it's more balanced compared to longer heavy knives.

Alright I've picked up a CCK 1103,

Thanks KKF

I'm curious about a cheap cleaver that weighs around a pound. I have a CCK 1303, which I like, but I'd love to try something where the blade has more heft. The 1301 looks a bit heavier, but I'm inclined to try something that's more different. Go to the 1103?

Go to the 1103?

I have the 1102 and it's definitely beefy. I really like the mono-steel build of the blade and really feel like I'm working out my forearms when chopping. Get it, I don't think you'd regret your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back