Custom Knife Block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdeleon

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a knife block created by the Board Smith. I would like to have a new one created but I can't seem to find a person that creates them anymore. I tried David at the Board Smith and also Vermont Butcher Block. Both used to create them but seem to no longer do that work. Anyone have other places they could recommend that would do this work?

Are you asking about magnetic or slotted? Slotted are difficult to clean and limiting as to what they will take.

Slotted. It is limiting but my collection is pretty stable. And I have never had a cleaning issue up to this point. The knives always go in clean and there are holes at the other end that allow air and dirt to pass through.

I'm just not a big fan of magnetic holders.

It's not the look of magnetic holders, I think they are nice. I just like the nature of a knife block. How they are arranged and access to them? It's a preference thing.

I have been wrestling with this as well. I like the convenience of having a block right near my cutting boards and they are on the island. Putting a magnetic knife block on a wall is tricky with our space and, even if I can make it work, will mean walking around the island to get to the knives.. I have thought about the "display" type stands where you can put three knives with blades up but that is less than ideal to me. If one carefully dries one's knives, I think a knife block is fine--particularly if it allows air circulation . The knives in drawers in their boxes works, but still is less convenient for day to day use/access to me. What I think I will do is put the knives we use frequently in a block and the ones we don't use as often in their boxes with some oil on the blades.

It does seem like there is a niche waiting to be filled in the market for custom knife blocks. I think they are harder to make than boards and likely then less profitable, which is too bad.

My block is full, so I could use something that can hold a half dozen gyutos and a few other misc knives. Looked around on etsy a couple weeks ago but there wasn't much there. So I'm watching this thread with interest.

I ended up making my own recently. Made a few mistakes doesn't look 100% but it does the job and learnt how to make it better next time

I don't have a directly useful answer for you, but I've seen quite a few design for magnetic holders that sit on a counter instead of hanging on a wall
Have a scroll through these search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...KlgwTD64P4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=920

I personally like this one, but I have the opposite problem, I've got more wall space then counter space lol
26598.jpg

Not really a custom thing, but I think it looks good, and a good base for custom designing that wouldn't be limited by pre-determined slots

Edit: I know you said you weren't looking for magnetic, and I hate to be "that guy" that comes in and suggests the exact opposite of what you want, but there are others in that list that do have a more compactly arranged design, rather than spread out in a row like the usual wall hangers or the one I posted above. Kind of a hybrid between the two styles....just food for thought

I have a couple Bench crafted Mag-Bloks in my kitchen. To me they are convenient to grab whatever knife or cleaver I need. If you prefer a table Knife Block that works too, just harder to match whatever knife have that can change over time.

The funny thing is that when I had my previous knife block made about 5 years ago there were several people making custom blocks. I actually could shop around for the best value. I finally got a new knife just yesterday (I know, but different priorities) and thought it might be a good time to update my block. Every since I got it, I didn't like the spacing between the knives (my design request oversight). Some handles hit each other. It is minor but always bothered me. But since it was costly to change, I thought that I would just wait. I didn't know the custom market would completely dry up. Oh well, that's what I get for waiting.

If I were looking for a custom knife block and not find anyone around here, I would check custommade.com - browse the work of different craftsman and contact a few whose work I like. Woodworkers who make furniture, cutting boards or similar should have no problem making a knife block for you. I had a cutting board done by Michael Anderson and he did a very nice job and was super nice to do business with.

This is a UK supplier called "make me something special". Their free standing magnetic blocks are very expensive (starting at £195 for a basic one with no engraving) but would be easy to copy for any competent woodworker.

handmade-oak-knife-stands-uk-makemesomethingspecial.co_.uk_-110x70.jpg

knife-storage-holders-makemesomethingspecial.co_.uk_-110x70.jpg

magnetic-wooden-knife-stands-makemesomethingspecial.co_.uk_-110x70.jpg

If I were looking for a custom knife block and not find anyone around here, I would check custommade.com - browse the work of different craftsman and contact a few whose work I like. Woodworkers who make furniture, cutting boards or similar should have no problem making a knife block for you. I had a cutting board done by Michael Anderson and he did a very nice job and was super nice to do business with.

This was a great lead. Thanks. I found another person to contact. Let's see what they say.

Not sure which you are looking for, a vertical block or the normal slanted. As most of us here are prone to multiple longer knives, love my vertical block. Assume this gets around a lot of the cleaning/sanitation issues as well.

Not sure which you are looking for, a vertical block or the normal slanted. As most of us here are prone to multiple longer knives, love my vertical block. Assume this gets around a lot of the cleaning/sanitation issues as well.

I would prefer the normal slant. I would be open to a vertical block, but would have to see it. My current one is a slant and I build it to handle a knife up to 300 mm. My longest is currently 270. So I have been fine so far. It might be an issue if I ever buy that really long slicer. But then again, the current block is open on the other end, so I guess it could pop out a little.

Back