Wide bevel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16756

Reaction score
Konos Fujis never in stock and Kagekiyo a little bit too much money. So here we go maybe something else will meet the need? The wider the bevel the better.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? 240/270 gyuto
Are you right or left handed? right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? wa
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240-270
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) probably prefer carbon, stainless acceptable
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 4-500 US

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? home only
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) vegetables, boneless meat
What knife, if any, are you replacing? no replacement, just something different
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch
If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) WIDE bevel would be nice, dark wood handle, carbon would be sweet

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) end grain wood
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

The Sakai knife that James passed around recently exactly fits...as does Kochi...both great knives.

Edit to say that after that other thread, not sure how I didn't think of Heiji...

Cheers

This may sound repetitive, but giving Jon from JKI a call would be about the best way to find the knife you are looking for. I actually talked to him about the knives already mentioned and the Heji is the thicker one of the two and may give you more wedging than the Kochi. Please note that this is just relative assessment from Jon - I have not used any of the two. My pick would be the Kochi with carbon kurouchi (there is carbon clad kurouchi, stainless clad kurouchi and one carbon clad migaki version) purely based on what I read about the knife.

Syousin Sakura from James, http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-sakura/ .

Heiji is also a good option, but if you are looking for really wide bevel, Heiji's bevel is not as wide as some of those from Sakai.

And for some reason, kochi migaki 240 that I have with me at the moment is not a wide bevel knife at all.

I've owned and own both Kochi and Heiji. Very different knives, but both are very good. I do prefer Heiji.

I've owned two iron clad Kochi (V-2) kurouchi and still have one...absolutely wide bevel. Awesome knives...but I believe the V-2 to be a bit thinner than the Migaki.

I had considered this before, how strong is the break between the flat and the convexed part?

My goal with this purchase is to get something visually distinct from a continuously ground knife and I would like the bevel to be about half way up if possible. I really like the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 240mm, especially the one with the ebony handle, I just cant find one to buy and I cant post a WTB so there's that.

I dont feel a need to purchase now but I will get the Syousin if it fits that need. Otherwise... well my current knife is a Tanaka R2 240 and it cuts pretty ok.

I had considered this before, how strong is the break between the flat and the convexed part?

My goal with this purchase is to get something visually distinct from a continuously ground knife and I would like the bevel to be about half way up if possible. I really like the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 240mm, especially the one with the ebony handle, I just cant find one to buy and I cant post a WTB so there's that.

I dont feel a need to purchase now but I will get the Syousin if it fits that need. Otherwise... well my current knife is a Tanaka R2 240 and it cuts pretty ok.

The Sakura is designed partly based on kono fuji with my specs and tweaks. If purchasing is not in a hurry, you can take part in the passaround that's currently on in the US.

Hey guys,

as tempted as I was by the Sakai Syousin, when I saw the Fujiyama Blue 2 240 pop up for sale I went ahead and ordered one. I see a lot of appeal in the Sakai (especially the handle), but I have wanted a Fuji for a long time and I didnt want to leave it as a "what if?" I do hope I didn't make a mistake in terms of getting a lesser piece of steel for what is, frankly, not much less, and probably more when all is said and done.

Speaking of probably more, can anyone point me to the nearest KKF approved handle maker who is currently taking orders? I am looking for something very plain; probably just a horn ferrule and a piece of decent ebony. Some of the creations Ive seen are beautiful but less plain than I personally like.

Does anyone know off-hand what I should I expect compared to my current arsenal?

So as an update, I got the Kono today.

Unfortunately, the knife had been packaged rather carelessly by you know who and not only was the box damaged (a personal pet peeve, as I keep the boxes for the nice stuff I buy), but the last 6mm or so of the edge at the heel was very, very badly damaged (the whole of the actual edge broken off, though not that cleanly, of course :( ). And frankly, if it wasn't because of the poor packing, it's even worse because that means someone took a damaged box and didn't bother to check the knife inside.

It would be very easy to be super upset, but I'm going to go ahead and keep the knife. I just don't see what I have to gain by sending it back to the ham-fisted buffoon who caused the problem to begin with. The knife is still functional and part of the edge was going to get damaged that badly this was the best part, I suppose. I will simply keep working on it slowly and it will sharpen out eventually.

As a result, I highly suggest that you stick with the vendors you hear good things about on this forum. Tosho got me my knife in great shape quite quickly and they aren't even in the same country as me. Let me tell you they actually packed my knife like they wanted me to get it undamaged. I guess I should have held out.

Lesson learned.

Why wouldn't you send it back. Seems like significant damage. At least give the vendor a chance to fix it. I don't think I would like to keep a knife knowing that it was damaged from the beginning.

Also I guess I didn't mention two relevant things.

1. For the people who are going to argue I should let the vendor make it right, I don't have much faith in someone who would be this careless to handle the situation properly, not to mention in conjunction with the stories I've heard I'd rather take a knife that is perfectly usable even if it was damaged a bit in transit. In the grand scheme of things, it could have been a lot worse.

2. The knife is pretty nice and the grind seems good. I will do an update later. I have an idea of where I go from here, but Ill let you guess at what THAT means.

I don't think I would like to keep a knife knowing that it was damaged from the beginning.

Let me start by saying I understand your perspective completely.

Like might be a strong word, though.

But I will say this, the damage is minor enough that the knife is within my patience to keep. If it were a chip out in the part I was really cutting with, it would have to go back. I plan to use the knife and if I tire of it then someone will probably get a good deal on it. There are worse things than learning a lesson in this way, I will say that, plus I have a nice knife even with a scar in it before I even begin.

You're far more understanding and accepting than I am haha. I would at least complain and ask for a discount credited back to you since it was damaged. If not for yourself, for the rest of us that have had terrible experiences in the past. :D

You should contact the vendor the only way for them to get better is from feed back. Sometimes **** happens.

You should contact the vendor the only way for them to get better is from feed back. Sometimes **** happens.

On your recommendation, I snapped a pic and sent them an email.

If you consider it from my perspective though, what I gain from sending it back seems simply not worth it. Compare that to spending more of my money on shipping it back and waiting months for another knife to get back in stock or for this knife to make the rounds to Sakai, and then what? Take another chance? The knife is messed up because it wasn't packaged right (again, benefit of the doubt here that they didnt just put a busted box out there for a customer without at least checking the knife) so it's like playing the lotto that the next one gets to me. What if it's in even worse shape? This nick I can live with, others maybe not so much.

And, I would like to point out, all this time I am without the knife (though granted, I have others).

**** happens is fine and all, but this mistake happened not because the vendor made an honest mistake (ie wrong knife in the box), or because FEDEX screwed the pooch, but because someone didn't take the time to properly pack the box.

Oh yeah btw I actually measured it with a ruler it's 10mm and I'm still not upset enough to ask for any compensation. It will, eventually, sharpen out. You live, and you learn.

If it was damaged due to careless packing, you shouldn't have to pay to return it. I think your credit card issue would side would side with you on this.
If you're still satisfied with the knife you got for the price you paid, fine, keep it. It is somewhat harder to raise the issue when the knife is in high demand, and short supply. That's not right, but may be the situation. If you're not satisfied, I hope you will take this up with the vendor.

I agree that the credit card company or paypal would take your side so there is not real argument there. The problem once again is the vendor...I will say though that it does seem that when people post their problems with this vendor here on kkf that they seem to get better treatment than when they go it alone :scratchhead::tease:

I do hope that people recognize the value of our site's trusted vendors. I'm thinking the OP probably won't get screwed again by this guy but it does seem to be a good lesson for others beginning their exploration of J-knives.

So as an update, I got the Kono today.

Unfortunately, the knife had been packaged rather carelessly by you know who and not only was the box damaged (a personal pet peeve, as I keep the boxes for the nice stuff I buy), but the last 6mm or so of the edge at the heel was very, very badly damaged (the whole of the actual edge broken off, though not that cleanly, of course :( ). And frankly, if it wasn't because of the poor packing, it's even worse because that means someone took a damaged box and didn't bother to check the knife inside.

It would be very easy to be super upset, but I'm going to go ahead and keep the knife. I just don't see what I have to gain by sending it back to the ham-fisted buffoon who caused the problem to begin with. The knife is still functional and part of the edge was going to get damaged that badly this was the best part, I suppose. I will simply keep working on it slowly and it will sharpen out eventually.

As a result, I highly suggest that you stick with the vendors you hear good things about on this forum. Tosho got me my knife in great shape quite quickly and they aren't even in the same country as me. Let me tell you they actually packed my knife like they wanted me to get it undamaged. I guess I should have held out.

Lesson learned.

Return the knife.

Back