total beater lobster knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobby

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a real beater for breaking open lobsters. I think victornox is probably the logical knife, but are there other options?

Victorinox/Forschner are too thin/light for beating on lobsters. As suggested, a western deba or just an old Henckels would be perfect. You could also find what I believe to be called a chef de chef by one of the Sabatier brands.

Victorinox/Forschner make lots of knives, and one of them is made for exactly what you want to use it for, the 13" bone and lobster splitter:

3588.jpg

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-rosewood/extra-heavy-bone-splitter-p13588

If you've got some time, I'd suggest looking on ebay for an old 14" dexter or something along those lines. I have one and it's a great basher.

Two summers ago, I had alive langustines in the menu, not lobsters, smaller and with thinner shell. I had to cut them in two, when order was coming(nasty experience!).

Though I love the classic Victorinox(my second chefs knife, I bought it 1 month after my first,and my first became home knife) 25cm chef knife(old style fibrox handle, the new handle designs, fibrox or rosewood I find them looking funny), and this knife can take lots of beating, though it is not flexible, but it is not heavy as well, it was doing the job, but not performing as well. It was breaking the head area, to some smaller cracks most of the time, and not so good at the softer belly area.
Then I tried the identical serated version of Victorinox fibrox 25cm chef knife. Easier to do the job, but still not good enough.
Then I tried the Gekko Hammered finish 24,5cm gyuto, certified 61 Hrc by a papper inside the box(I believe it, it feels hard), a knife like the Kikuichi waricomi Tsuchime(maybe Kikuichi OEM), and it was doing much better than both Victorinox.

I have to say that I don't have a deba(I have to buy one sometime soon).

I consider Victorinox better than all german knives, but they are not the good deal that they used to be, with exception some flexible fillets.

I imagine that a deba will be more helpful.
I also imagine that a Masahiro VC 24cm chef knife will do the job. It is 24+cm, hard hard, wide and no brittle. Think of the deba version of it. Cheaper than the Victorinox you posted

Try the latest F. Dick PremierPlus. They are very thick behind the edge, much thicker than the previous generation (I even wrote a letter of complaint to the factory) so I am no longer going to buy or recommend them, but if you are explicitly looking for a knife to withstand abuse, they might be just the thing for you.

Tojiro dp 240mm yodeba.

[video=youtube;urIeUid1TMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urIeUid1TMo[/video]

Chinese medium cleavers work well for splitting lobsters also popping claw & shaving leg.

Dexter stainless Chinese cleaver is my beater. Only $30 and holds an edge really well. I'll use it to portion lamb ribs all the time and haven't had to resharpen in weeks.

Back