I am a cheap bastard ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... follow up to earlier post, where I was looking for help with helping a friend buy a stainless Gyuto for her husband.

I just thought, what the heck ... I'll give him a cheapo Carbon just so he can try Carbon.

As I have no real limits other than "Carbon" and "$50 or less" I did not fill out the Questionnaire ...

Any ideas besides the entry Tojiros?

tojiro is the worst possible choice for carbon--the absolute worst knife I have ever seen in my life (not worst J-knife, worst knife period) was a carbon tojiro...there is a reason it is so cheap...and it's worth even less...sorry

tojiro is the worst possible choice for carbon--the absolute worst knife I have ever seen in my life (not worst J-knife, worst knife period) was a carbon tojiro...there is a reason it is so cheap...and it's worth even less...sorry

You sound like my wife talking about Real Madrid [emoji12]

I like your wife :)

Stefan

Well I have to agree with chinacats on a tojiro carbon. Two seconds in water, and you'll see rust on the cladding. LOL. The cheap steel must contain rust-catalysts.

The cheapest carbon I could actually recommend as a decent knife is in the 70-80 dollar range. Fujiwara FKH. 50 bucks? Maybe you can find one used with a nice patina so the dude doesn't have to deal with the initial sulphur stink.

Chinese cleaver. There are some carbon offerings that are pretty cheap.

Well I have to agree with chinacats on a tojiro carbon. Two seconds in water, and you'll see rust on the cladding. LOL. The cheap steel must contain rust-catalysts.

The cheapest carbon I could actually recommend as a decent knife is in the 70-80 dollar range. Fujiwara FKH. 50 bucks? Maybe you can find one used with a nice patina so the dude doesn't have to deal with the initial sulphur stink.

Agree! When I started out and knew nothing I bought a Tojiro Nakiri and Petty. They rust when my wife is taking one of her half hour showers in the bathroom down the hall... But hey, I moved on quickly. Takeda, Watanabe, Kono ...

I have to agree with what someone posted the other day about the petty though... The handle is a joke, the K finish horrendous, but there's some decent steel hidden below. I got rid of the K finish, forced a mustard/vinegar patina and will use it as a re-handle guinea pig as soon as I have the space....

Now judge me LOL

Just to point out, I could probably have dealt with the crazy reactivity, I could not deal with the roller coaster blade road. I use my petty as a steak knife because it's the only knife I'll use to cut on a ceramic plate.

For 75usd, maybe 74, you get Masahiro VC metal bolster 21cm. And free shipping. I had instant bonding with it first moment by openening the box. Big love. Without metal bolster and shorter, 18cm, you will find Masahiro around 50, but never had one, cannot tell

Just to point out, I could probably have dealt with the crazy reactivity, I could not deal with the roller coaster blade road. I use my petty as a steak knife because it's the only knife I'll use to cut on a ceramic plate.

Absolutely!

What about a Tadafusa from the bay, or Zakuri from Rakuten. Should both be around $50

If your intent is to try to show your friend the advantages of carbon vs stainless, don't do it with a cheap carbon knife. If you do, he will probably conclude that carbon knives are inferior.

Perhaps a quality petty is a better choice than a crappy gyuto?

If your intent is to try to show your friend the advantages of carbon vs stainless, don't do it with a cheap carbon knife. If you do, he will probably conclude that carbon knives are inferior.

Perhaps a quality petty is a better choice than a crappy gyuto?

I knew someone would make some sense here eventually...thanks PT.

I knew someone would make some sense here eventually...thanks PT.

I agree with you guys... But I'm not spending $100 plus on a gift for someone whom I recently met and maybe consider an acquaintance ... But not a friend yet ;)

If I had that kind of money to throw around the last two items posted in BST would be gone already [emoji23][emoji12]

Decent cheap Carbon? Why not go French with K-Sabatier (they sell direct and have offers) or Lion Sabatier. They are not J knives but still perform very well in the kitchen for a cost of around 50 euros. Make sure you tell them you want a straight knife though, I bought a "second" that could be used as a bow! I ended up cutting the blade, tang and making a Bunka out of it!

Why does no one mention Mr. Tanaka , have I missed something? I would like one too!

The answer from Germany is Tosa Hocho . They are known for good steel, varying geometry and missing finish. If you take one, you might spend the spare money on some cheap carborundums, to do their work? :razz:

Why does no one mention Mr. Tanaka , have I missed something? I would like one too!

The answer from Germany is Tosa Hocho . They are known for good steel, varying geometry and missing finish. If you take one, you might spend the spare money on some cheap carborundums, to do their work? :razz:

Hey! I didn't even think of Tanaka, thanks!

Tosa Hocha/Zakuri is on my list. I mentioned it earlier but no one really commented either way, yet people seem to like theirs...

Back