A visit from Cutco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

Reaction score
My wife is currently getting the whole sales pitch for Cutco knives from the son of an acquaintance as a favor. Listening to the spiel as I'm doing stuff around the house and biting my tongue. He asked for the sharpest knife in the house and my wife told him she's not allowed to use it. Damn straight. I don't want my Carter cutting through a piece of rope.

A cousin of mine used to go around the family and pitch the Cutco knives a long time back. I didn't know any better back then and was impressed with the number of knives they give you :).

He asked for the sharpest knife in the house and my wife told him she's not allowed to use it.

this is a joke right? I actually cant tell.

also Id make someone sign a waiver before handing them an actually sharp knife. Ive seen people do really stupid **** with knives to 'test' the edge.

Come on gotta let your wife use at least one good knife. Gesshin Ginga SS. She does not like to use my carbons anyway.

Finding woman that does not want to cook or wash dishes that should be easy:hungry:

7 years ago when I first went to college a roommate of mine was selling cutco. Never bought anything when he was selling but when he got out of it he had a few knives left he didn't want. Got 2 chefs knives,2 steak knives, a serrated camping knife and some kitchen scissors for $100 bucks. The chef knives have been my beater knives for a long time. The scissors are actually pretty nice.

this is a joke right? I actually cant tell.

also Id make someone sign a waiver before handing them an actually sharp knife. Ive seen people do really stupid **** with knives to 'test' the edge.

No joke. If you'd seen how my wife abuses knives - cutting on ceramic tile, using one to open a bottle of wine, putting them in with the cutlery, tip down in the drying rack - you'd understand my knive are in a drawer that's off limits. She can destroy anything that's on the knife rack.

my wife won't use my knives since they "fxxken rust!" She loves the little vg10 180gyuto I gave her though :)

My GF is still more comfortable using the softer stainless we've had forever. She actually prefers an edge not as sharp. :lol2:

Come on gotta let your wife use at least one good knife. Gesshin Ginga SS. She does not like to use my carbons anyway.

Finding woman that does not want to cook or wash dishes that should be easy:hungry:

This is the correct answer. The wife gets the 'wife knife' -- one good knife. I have a 'gf' knife which is a 180mm Ginga Santoku. I gave her a choice of various stainless options, and this is the one she picked. If she were disrepsectful of the knife (dishwasher, drawers, ceramic), I'd give her a dull soft blade.

With regard to the Cutco friend/rep, rather than have him prove that a Cutco can cut through rope, you should take an onion and perform a quick dice with the Carter and then show him how much more difficult it is with his cheap Cutco. Or rather... have him do it with supervision. LOL.

At least there's been an upgrade in Cutco's steel over the years. It seems they're using 440 steel.

I let my girlfriend try a bunch of my good but not great stainless knives as she tends to not be good about cleaning knives quickly but at least I taught her not to put knives in the dishwasher!

Anyway, I put out a bunch of relatively low end knives like Victorinox, Tojiro etc in <=210mm sizes from my collection for her to try. Interestingly the one she chose was a super thin <$10 Kom Kom (which is the "hi-end" Kiwi brand) stainless that is shaped as a kind of a cross between a Nakari and a Kiritsuke i.e. it is a Nakari belly with a Kiritsuke tip. Or, one could say it is sort of a very tall and fairly long banna bunko I guess, like a Takeda banna bunko in profile maybe?

It actually is an interesting profile. It's super thin and sharpens pretty easily although by my standards edge retention sucks as the steel is pretty soft, still it actually pretty amazing knife considering I paid like $4 for it in Thailand as I recall.

I usually use a 1k/3k combo on it to keep it sharp for her, it never needs much work to get it back to factory level sharpness.

I got the wife a ZDP 189 santoku, plan on upgrading her to a 210 gyuto from Harner or the like soon. Money willing.

Good grief. My wife is no knife nerd, but she uses and maintains, all on her own, a 10" Messermeister Elite chef's knife. It's a big, German monster, but she's totally functional with it and can use it tolerably well (which is to say better than many pros I've known). Admittedly, she hates my carbon steel knives and tends to baby them for fear of rust, but she's totally capable of using my knives and of velcroing her own shoes.

My partner, admittedly a former professional, uses a 10" Wusthof for most kitchen tasks. She has been using my 6" Sab and 210mm Itinomonn more, but 8 times out of 10 she reaches for the 10" knife.

Back