New knifemakers we should be supporting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneS

Reaction score
When considering my next knife purchase, I find myself having, in the back of my mind, that hoary old chestnut of an idea about supporting young knifemakers. I suppose I am specifically thinking about Japanese-based ones, because, as I understand it, the industry is an aging one and there's a shortage of young apprentices 'in the pipeline'. I suppose I am interested in hearing whether you guys also have this in mind, and if so, who you think are 'up and coming talents' ? For those who have a foot (or more !) in the industry, do you think that's still true, what with the increasing popularity of Japanese knife brands among We Who Know Better ?

Shungo ikeda takamura masakages shimo line is made by a young guy. His name is yu kurosaki. I have a takamura and shimo knife. Both 150mm pettys are great knives thin and sexy thé shimo is too réactive though in my opinion.

Shungo ikeda takamura masakages shimo line is made by a young guy. His name is yu kurosaki. I have a takamura and shimo knife. Both 150mm pettys are great knives thin and sexy thé shimo is too réactive though in my opinion.

I got a 150mm Shimo Petty as well, and while it is very well made and takes a killer edge, it rusts to hell if I leave it wet for 30 seconds. Insanely reactive cladding. I wish he would fond some other iron cladding because the current one he uses is almost alive and breathing.

I bought Masashi Kobo 150mm Petty SLD which is also made by a younger guy Masashi Yamamoto. I really like it, it has a really nice finish and is quite thin. One of the most beautiful knives I own :)

Masashi Kobo was one of the ones I had in mind when I wrote the original post, krx927. I absolutely love the look of the mirror finish but as a relative newbie to sharpening, am absolutely terrified of having to touch up the knife constantly due to scratches. Mind you, as a (at best) enthusiastic home cook, I don't think my knives get any kind of work out in my kitchen....
Actually that puts me in mind of the fact that his brother, from memory, took over Yoshikane. So in a way, that's another 'young knifemaker' even though the brand isn't. Hard to know when the knife you are getting is from the original knifemaker or his successor, I suppose, because its not like they come with a 'vintage' (or maybe they should ??)

Mine is not mirror finished, I opted for damascus. What a beautiful knife. But not just that it cuts like a dream:

IMG_5577_crop_zpsj2rz9370.jpg

Kurosaki, Ikeda, Masashi (ex Yoshikane), Yoshikane (new smith is young) and Hinoura Junior just to quote a few. Kurosaki is doing fine with his very popular lines, Ikeda has his own stuff and also forges the Kotetsu for Shibata which is a credit to his skills. All of these are keenly priced and by getting a knife from a young smith you can be assured they complete the forging themselves rather than delegating to an apprentice.

I have 2 Kurosaki (Megumi petty and AS Bunka), 2 Kotetsu and they all are excellent examples.

Great idea for a thread!
I too wonder who will be the next heralded maker out of Japan. I go back to the early 2000's and remember when Watanabe and Takeda were new to many of us and their wares 1/3 of today's prices.

I bought Masashi Kobo 150mm Petty SLD which is also made by a younger guy Masashi Yamamoto. I really like it, it has a really nice finish and is quite thin. One of the most beautiful knives I own :)

How's the edge on that one? OOTB? Sharpening? I think the SLD's are pretty easy to sharpen for a stainless, right? I have a Yoshikane, but didn't take it to the stones yet...

krx927,
That is one great looking blade. I am envious. Maybe the damascus is the way to go, the odd scratch probably wouldn't show up as much as on the mirrored version.

Lots of the names everyone has mentioned so far are ones I have considered in the shopping list. Kurosaki's R2 line with that very distinctive hammered finish looks fantastic, and I am tossing up between that and a Shibata Kotetsu. Currently paralysed with indecision (which is not a bad thing for my wallet....)

I read somewhere about (?) Kurosaki's struggles with his knifemaking and how he finally came to terms with it. Sounded inspiring. There is a part of me that does think, hang on, this chaps only in his late 30s and been doing it 10-15 years, is he up to it compared to an 80 y/o Doi, for instance ? But I don't have that sort of outlook when I purchase a bottle of wine though, so perhaps its not fair. But buying a dud bottle of wine for a Friday night is not quite the same in terms of consumption as a 'knife that should last for years' :wink: Also, it seems to me that R2 is relatively new, so the knowledge about working with it is also relatively new, and perhaps the younger guns aren't at that much of a disadvantage in terms of how they work it ?

How's the edge on that one? OOTB? Sharpening? I think the SLD's are pretty easy to sharpen for a stainless, right? I have a Yoshikane, but didn't take it to the stones yet...

OOTB edge was pretty OK and given the fact that the knife is very very thin, it cuts great. I bought this knife for my wife and unfortunately she does not like her knives really sharp as she is doing a lot of cutting in hands. So I did not sharpen it yet, but can hardly wait to do it. In the mean time I bough another Heiji petty for her so I will let that one get a bit dull and sharpen Mashasi ;)
I also have one Yoshikane petty in SKD which is pretty close to SLD. Than one is very easy to sharpen...

Just to keep the thread going Wakui could be worth adding to the list. I am not sure he is young but the Wakui brand is new-ish, the chap is from Sanjo and rumoured to be ex Yoshikane.

I did see the Wakui's for sale, they sound interesting.
I think my next lot of buying is Kurosaki's R2 nakiri and Shibata's Suji. A lot of R 2 I know, but what I have had I like, and the stainless aspect is attractive for something which is going to be relatively low volume usage like the Suji. Why I should then spend so much $$$ on something I will not use often is another argument, but........

Not to change the subject, however, I think you have one of the best "young, up & comers" knife makers in your country. His name is Mert Tansu. I have two of his knifes in my rotation and believe that they are two of the finest knives I own. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, but I believe Mert's work is well worth taking a look at.

Not to change the subject, however, I think you have one of the best "young, up & comers" knife makers in your country. His name is Mert Tansu. I have two of his knifes in my rotation and believe that they are two of the finest knives I own. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, but I believe Mert's work is well worth taking a look at.

I absolutely agree. I have a sujihiki by Mert and a gyuto on the way.

Agree with both Chef & Tiger and I am on Mert's custom list. The other knifemaker worth noting for is Cris Anderson of Scorpion Forge. If you click on my profile, my knife from him had just been completed.

Would love to see some reviews of Mert's knives - they are certainly eye-catching !

Back