choices. pimp hiromoto as 240, carter 240 muteki, fujiwara mabroshi no meito 240mm.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playford

Reaction score
Knife purchases stalled the past while, as I'm pretty happy with most of what I have really, I'd like a chef au ritz 10" chef but other than that pretty happy.

So I already have one of the old school stamped hiromoto AS 240 gyutos.

Choice is...

1. Keep the hiromoto, pimp it, sharpening job and a new handle. (stainless clad, blue steel and no longer available from JCK)
  2. or 240 Carter ironwood muteki ($400ish before taxes etc) - I dunno whats putting me off this? That its not actually murray making them?
  3. or 240 fujiwara terayasu mabroishi no meito ($350ish before taxes), fit and finish on the nashiji is horrible, the steel is crazy.

Anyone used one of the carter muteki's gyutos? are they a little beefier than the old sfgz waboucho's? How do they rate?

Really drifting towards the carter, but the fujiwara with a lil heft could be nice too, plus bolster (probably have to price in a rehandle though

Fujiwara_Maboroshi_240_Gyuto_grande.jpg

MT.Kitchen.227a__00885.1432229348.1280.1280.jpg

P1010009-6.jpgl

I can't speak to the Carter, but I did once own a 190mm Teryasu Fujiwara Mabroshi no Meito. It's the one knife I wish I never would've let go. F & F is a bazillion times better than the cheapo one.

Carter001.jpg

This IP pro was basically my dream knife when I got into this madness 10 odd years ago. Reality wise I doubt I'll be able to pay for one from Murray and his style has changed a bit since then (I actually prefer the simplicity of the older stuff).

I have a 150 nashiji petty though and it is a serious piece of steel. The handle is horrible, but at the price point. Yup.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5807-225mm-Carter-International-Pro-Gyuto

My avatar will attest of my love for the Maboroshi series. Great cutters and lovely to handle: thin but with the prefect weight...very special knives.

If I were you I would definitely go with the Carter Muteki. The Fujiwara Mabaroshi is better f&f than the nashiji line but doesn't compare to the f&f of the Carter Muteki knives. You also get to see that exact measurements and thickness of the Carter before you purchase. Something you can't do with the fujiwaras.

Out of curiosity, where are you finding a 240 fujiwara terayasu mabroishi no meito for $350? I don't see them anywhere for less than $675!

Out of curiosity, where are you finding a 240 fujiwara terayasu mabroishi no meito for $350? I don't see them anywhere for less than $675!

Knifewear its 386 cad. I think your thinking of the denka line their rolls royce which is considerably more

My computer says $518 cad for the 240. Still better that $675! JKI has it for $550......saw it on a UK site for $440 plus shipping plus whatever customs fee I might have to pay.......

Sorry was looking at thé 195 lol. Still way cheaper than thé 800+ cad it would be

For what it's worth, I'd go for the Carter or a Hiromoto pimped by Dave... The Hiro would be one of a kind, you choose everything. Pretty cool if you ask me...

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...a-maboroshi-no-meito-240mm-western-gytuo.html

Handle Length- 124.0mm
Handle Width- 16.7mm
Handle to Tip Length- 245.0mm
Heel to Tip Length- 243.0mm
Blade Height at Heel- 53.5mm
Width of Spine at Handle- 2.6mm
Width of Spine Above heel- 3.1mm
Width of Spine at Middle- 2.35mm
Width of Spine about 1cm from the tip- 1.7mm
Blade Thickness at 1/2 way between the Spine and Edge- 1.9mm
Weight- 267g

carter

STYLE: Muteki Series Kitchen Knife #208 with Stainless Fukugo-zai Finish
STEEL: White steel laminated with stainless steel
HANDLE: Arizona Desert Ironwood
BLADE LENGTH: 8.05 sun, 244mm (9.6")
WEIGHT: 170 grams
BLADE WIDTH: 52mm
BLADE THICKNESS: *1.5mm

I know from my petty that Fujiwara terayasu is much thicker at spine and then tapers down to an acute point at about half way. Much beefier than the carter's I have, The Fujiwara is 262grams and the carter 170 grams with an ironwood handle, that sounds laser territory. I have a 210 sfgz waboucho that is crazy thin, its lovely but chips easily (especially if left near inexperienced hands) and I really use for veg prep now. The Hiromoto AS is 232grams but still feels light. I'm just wondering will the carter feel too far too light at 170?

Back