Paring knife for brother

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

Reaction score
Hey all,

My brother just informed me that he's looking for a good paring knife since they don't have one currently. He and his wife have decent Western knifes (some medium quality, some higher quality) at the moment, plus one Shun chef's knife. They both treat them properly and he keeps them fairly sharp (combo of steel and stones, I believe).

I filled out the questionnaire for him (below). I don't think he's really sold yet on the concept of Japanese knifes though, but I'd like to offer him a couple suggestions if possible. I know most pettys are smaller than traditional paring knives, but he specifically said a 3.5" paring knife (maybe +/- a half inch).

He mentioned the Wusthof Classic Ikno 3.5" paring knife, the Wustof classic Ikon 3-inch straight paring knife, and the Victorinox (low budget option) as potential ones that he's looking at. Funny aside, when I showed my wife pictures of the Wusthofs, she sneered (half jokingly) and said, "Sure, if you like Western knifes." Haha, I love my wife.

Thanks,
Tyler

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Paring knife, 3.5". He mentioned being interested in sheep's foot or normal paring knives, not bird's beak or other shapes.

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
3.5" (+/- half an inch)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
He stated $60, but there may be some flex in that.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Paring knife type things. Haha.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
N/A

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I get the impression that this will be used for in-hand peeling and small tasks. With a larger knife, he usually uses a pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Don't know, but not sure it matters for a paring knife.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
He appreciates quality, but at a reasonable price point.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Don't know

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't know

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Something decent

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain wood and plastic, I believe.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
I believe he already has some, but don't know exactly what.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Last edited:
Sab nogent with money left...I really prefer French/German for paring or petty knives.

I have been very happy with my ealy aebl parer. it has a wonderful handle and overall I think there's something to be said for owning a quality tool that is itself handmade. I think it's a bit above your price range but... definitely worth it. It is no normal paring knife. Mine has quite a thick spine but at the edge it seems to be impossibly thin. Very impressive little cutter.

Thanks for the input so far.

I have an Ealy paring knife and agree that it is a great knife, and I've heard that ones by other custom makers around here are as well. But, I think all of those will be outside is price range, so I'm not going to bother mentioning that as a serious option to him.

The Sab Nogent knives all appear to be carbon steel (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm pretty sure he'd prefer stainless steel.

A couple votes for the MAC PKF-30. That looks like a decent choice.

I looked at the paring knives at JKI and they look decent, but I just don't know anything about them. Granted, everything I've gotten from JKI has treated me very well, so I suspect those are decent knives also. Anyone have feedback on them?

Thanks,
Tyler

I can't speak to the paring knives in the Gesshin Stainless, BUT, I have a 210 Gyuto in that series in my "visitors parking" block and like it a lot. It's become my "gift" knife of choice. If I needed to gift a parer I would be done.

There are stainless Sabs but the nogents are carbon steel. Both are available at "The Best Things"...sorry that's for those here in the states.

Easy answer: You buy the amazing Damascus Ealy from Lucretta to keep as your paring. You give your current Ealy to your brother. Ha! Wins all around.

Easy answer: You buy the amazing Damascus Ealy from Lucretta to keep as your paring. You give your current Ealy to your brother. Ha! Wins all around.

And that Dave is why we put you in charge:thumbsup:

when I showed my wife pictures of the Wusthofs, she sneered (half jokingly) and said, "Sure, if you like Western knifes." Haha, I love my wife.

Oh yeah, she's a keeper:viking:

Be well,
Mikey

Haha, that'd be a great option if I didn't already have a Damascus Ealy parer. Plus, I love my brother, but enough to give him my Ealy parer even if I got another one? (Yes, of course, if it came down to it I do love him that much). Hmmm, it'd work much better to use him as an excuse to buy a second one and then "forget" to give it to him. :doublethumbsup:

Wait, how did this thread go from him getting a knife to me getting another one?

Tyler

Back