which cut of wagyu is best for yakiniku at home?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hentaides

Reaction score
Hi guys. As per the title. What kind of cut of wagyu is good for yakiniku at home and what marble? I am new to this wagyu business but wanna try some. Hehe

You can try chuck eye, rib eye, skirt, flank, short rib or thin sliced belly. I personally don't care for NY and tenderloin for yakiniku but some people like it.

For the fattier pieces id just use shio (salt)...but for leaner cuts I do a ponzu marinade with 1/3 soy, 1/3 mirin, 1/3 yuzu only for about 30 min to an hour.

Wagyu, being the breed of beef, has many different qualities. For yakiniku, top qualities like A5 isn't really necessary (unless you are trying to burn through money), I'd go for just visibly marbled pieces.

Oh so you need to marinate them? I didn't even know haha. Doesn't most marbling cost most money. That's a bit pricey for me tbh

If it's wagyu beef you don't need to marinate. I personally prefer shio (sea salt) or a simple sauce on top less than an hour before serving. If it were a tougher cut, then you would need to marinate to tenderize the meat.

Of course the more marbling the better the quality. But just buy what you can afford. I mean if top grade wagyu is in your budget, then you're out of my league. Usually when I make it at home I get choice/prime cuts but occasionally I'll get the ungraded wagyu about $35/lbs and choose the most marbled pieces.

Back