What's your go to "line" knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
For all the pros out there. Pro kitchens can be somewhat claustrophobic sometimes. And it's sometimes good/safe/convenient to have a knife that's an all-arounder yet not too bulky that it fits snuggly in a spot on the line. So what's your go to line knife?

190mm tanaka ginsan. Don't have to worry too much about it. Cheap, stainless. Cuts well on small boards.

I know a lot of people speak highly of the 210mm Itinomonn kurouchi suji as a small line knife.

210 mm Suisin Inox hoyaki. Best knife ever (for me).

Moritaka 165 petty for its edge retention, because I don't care if it gets dropped and is cheap enough to replace. Prefer a gyuto but it gets in the way on a line as space is very limited.

225mm Tesshu gyuto. I have a lot of work space.

I alternated this with one of the Itinomonn 210mm sujis for a while before it went to its new home.

Now it's the Heiji 210mm gyuto and the Itinomonn.

240mm tojiro dp sujihiki for the fact that I don't have to worry about other people using it.

Have a pass/expo station type line setup, been using a 240 Glestain Suji recently - enough height at the heel to do some quick board work, sturdy so I don't have to baby it, prefer stainless on a line knife, slices like a champ too. 240 may be long for some but it tucks nicely on top of cutting board

220 shig suji. Game over. I mean, I don't work the line.

Naw, would have to abandon some principles and go stainless-ish and for a 210 suji-ish knife. I used something similar with little space and way too much activity in the vicinity some time ago. Forget your Shig, unless you have no customers and plenty of time.

Pretty consistent above on this type of knife - smaller suji stuff, or petties - but it's been said before so no surprise.

Would rather be at home using my regular gyuto, though.

The Itinomonn isn't super reactive, and once I used it for a while neither was the Tesshu, or the 210 Shig I had for a bit.

That being said there is a lot to be said for stainless, especially during citrus season.

210 gesshin uraku gyuto.
Inexpensive and easy to repair and thin when you chip it on tongs or whatever.
Quick wipe when patinated, no problem.

I use a hhh production knife for most kitchen work. That being said I have a huge work surface and have used 270's with great success. If I had less space I'd go 150 masakage shimo or 175 takeda funayuki

I'm a sushi chef and my go to line knives are

• Suisin Inox Honyaki 300mm Yanagi
  • Takamura R2 150mm Petty
  • Takeda NAS 270mm Gyuto

Yeah.. I've been blessed with some board room at the places I've worked.

i'm going to need a line knife too. where do you get 225 tesshu? i only see the 210 on aframes.

any feedback on a variety of 210ish gyutos on the line would be much appreciated. looking for carbon only (carbon or stainless cladding dont matter, or mono) only criteria is that it's not expensive and is tough enough to not chip easily.

The 225 that ecchef has used to be mine. That one was sold to me on A Frames as a 240, they run REALLY short. It's a really nice knife for the bucks. If I end up in the ****** spot of having to replace my kit cheap it is a contender for the line knife spot.

They are interestingly shaped, about the same curve as a 210mm shig, but pointier and shorter by a couple mm. The grind is asymmetrical and not at all the same as what is sandblasted on. Just talking about it kind of makes me want to buy another.

I use a 210 konosuke hd. I made the switch from petty/suji I think the short gyuto is more comfortable. Prepping on the line I use a Kato/nenox s1 240 gyutos.

Most days a 195mm kiwi *gyuto* but I used to use a 150mm T-F petty which was a lot more enjoyable and am currently leaning against switching over to my itinomonn 210 suji as the kiwi is just so much more convenient and also more versatile. I've had too many people pick up knives off my station to cut something on metal or spill liquids onto the blade.

FWIW, Takeshi at Aframes does have 240 Tesshus available, but handle less and not advertised on site. Getting one with a d- handle will cost $5 less than current advertised price, white or blue. If you want to get custom work from Shiraki, the vendor can make it happen too. Wait time is 3 months.

The 225 that ecchef has used to be mine. That one was sold to me on A Frames as a 240, they run REALLY short. It's a really nice knife for the bucks. If I end up in the ****** spot of having to replace my kit cheap it is a contender for the line knife spot.

They are interestingly shaped, about the same curve as a 210mm shig, but pointier and shorter by a couple mm. The grind is asymmetrical and not at all the same as what is sandblasted on. Just talking about it kind of makes me want to buy another.

You should probably get another one Andre 'cause I'm keeping this one. :D
This is a seriously good line knife.

Watanabe k shaped gyuto for me. But I hate poly boards so much

Seems strange to me reading through this thread how 240 has become the 'norm'

280mm suji , when I say sharp behind entire kitchen clears [emoji23]

Back