Big Block heading to Singapore

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Just finished this 30" X 30" butcher block. It weighs a little over 50 lbs. Heading to Chris in Singapore.

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

That's huge! I can't imagine what the shipping would be like on something like that.

I'm definitely not an expert on shipping internationally, and there were lots of lessons learned on shipping with this one. Might be helpful for other international customers who want really big blocks (ie bigger than 18 X 24). This customer wanted as big a block as he could get.

1) USPS seems to always be less expensive than other carriers. I rarely check international pricing on Fed Ex or UPS any more, because they are so much higher. Plus, many international customers (particularly Canadians) tell me they prefer USPS because it generally gets there more quickly (I think because of customs??).
2) Until this block, I've always shipped Priority Mail International for international shipments. There are dimensional and weight constraints with USPS. Weight will rarely be a limiting factor. But, it turns out dimensions can be an issue. It turns out that Priority Mail International allows maximum dimensions of 79", using the formula of Length (longest dimension of box) + 2 x height + 2 X width. So the box can be no larger than 25 X 23 X 4 (25+23+23+4+4=79), for example, which is about right for an 18 X 24 board.
3) USPS Global Express, on the other hand, allows 108", so the box can be 33 X 33 X 5. We actually made a custom box to those exact dimensions for this order, and yes, they measured it at the Post Office to make sure we were following the rules. I'm embarrassed to admit how much time and effort went into that custom box. That was a seriously expensive lesson learned for us. The customer wanted as big a block as possible, and we really pushed it to give him what he wanted.
4) Global Express supposedly gets anywhere in the world in 1-2 business days, which I have a hard time believing. I get a discounted rate with USPS, and they charged me $320 to ship this (including insurance). That does not include my packaging costs, which I ate on this particular commission. Looking forward to seeing when this guy actually arrives. We took it to the Post Office at 4:00 PM yesterday.

Must be a fricken pain to package this beast I imagine.

Wow that's almost as much as my entire order. Mine is currently in Canada ether in or finished customs (depending if I check USPS or Canada Post), it's hit or miss whether or not CBSA actually looks at things and tries to gouge the recipient. Either way I'm looking forward to getting it.

I wonder who in my country is getting it! Don't see too many people ordering customs due to the high shipping costs to Singapore.

It would probably extend way out if he stays in typical high rises

I wonder who in my country is getting it! Don't see too many people ordering customs due to the high shipping costs to Singapore.

We've actually shipped 3 different orders to Singapore in the last couple of months. And yes, the shipping is quite high. :(

Singapore can get to over 90% humidity. What are the risks of a cutting board warping if it is made somewhere with much lower humidity?

I don't know how to quantify that risk other than anecdotally. I haven't had any reported issues so far (knock on butcher block).

On a 2" thick butcher block, warping is pretty atypical. When it occurs, it is normally because it was left in standing water or it wasn't oiled (on both sides). Of the thousands of blocks I've made, I can't recall a single instance where warping occurred due to humidity.

BTW, if you visit Dallas in August, you might change your phrasing from 'much lower humidity' to 'very slightly lower humidity.' It can be a steam bath here. :)

Beautiful work, John. Also, I've always really liked that Carter. I remember seeing it way back and liking the different design elements. It looks like it's holding up well.

I've been using two boards from cave for years down here. Warping is minimal. Here being Singapore

I'm embarrassed to admit how much time and effort went into that custom box. That was a seriously expensive lesson learned for us.

Don't be embarrassed. I have sold (privately) a flat-bed photo scanner (about 20+ lb) to mainland China once - I have spent nearly 2 hours building a 'custom' box out of 2-ply heavy weight cardboard with complicated structure inside as I was trying to assure that the scanner would survive (it did). The shipping on that thing was 100€. I could hardly imagine doing that more often and for living :)

It is admirable the lengths you went to satisfy your customer.

In France I recently find out some third party services with which you can ship parcels trough DHL, UPS, FedEx.... On a lower rate because they are company with big volumes and can have preferential prices. I sent a parcel with DHL with a discount of 35% on the original price. I imagine that similar services should be found also elsewhere, not all to be trusted

Back