Shigehiro Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tward369

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced Shigehiro knives (offered through Buttermilk Supply)? They are forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda and sharpened by Shigehiro Kasahara, and I am interested to hear from people who've handled them. Thanks!

Don't have any experience and I have been eyeing those same knives. I did have a chat with Sam and he is very pleasant and informational.

As far as info tied to Yoshikazu Ikeda and Shigehiro Kasahara. Hopefully this sparks some additional info =)

Yoshikazu Ikeda:
-Does the Tanryu line for Suisin (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/14219-Suisin-Tanryu-by-Master-Yoshikazu-Ikeda)
-President of the association of dentoukouseishi
-Bernal Cutlery also carries some of his knives including a Honyaki that looks beautiful

Shigehiro Kasahara:
-Master Sharpener (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/11082-finally-got-bragging-rights)

I hope that I'm not stepping on any toes here...

But I would guess that Shigehiro Kasahara is also a sharpener under the Hide knife umbrella. The Kasumi 240mm gyuto in particular looks very similar in profile and grind to my white #2 Hide.

I'm sure there are differences between the two but I will say that I love my Hide gyuto. Solid, thick knife that still cuts really, really well. I like the flat profile too.

I hope that I'm not stepping on any toes here...

But I would guess that Shigehiro Kasahara is also a sharpener under the Hide knife umbrella. The Kasumi 240mm gyuto in particular looks very similar in profile and grind to my white #2 Hide.

I'm sure there are differences between the two but I will say that I love my Hide gyuto. Solid, thick knife that still cuts really, really well. I like the flat profile too.

Wow I have to say I have to agree that it looks just like the Hide. It wouldn't be particularly surprising as Buttermilk also carries the Kagekiyo line.

I'm waiting to hear back from the moderators as to how much I'm able to interact in this thread due to it falling outside of my sub-forum. In the meantime, I wanted to jump in to say that I don't know who the makers are behind Jon's Hide Hon-Kasumi knives. The knives do though look similar in profile and finish. Compared to Gesshin Hide, Shigehiro knives run longer, taller, slightly heavier (due to height and length), and have a stronger distal taper that starts thicker above the heel and ends thinner behind the tip. Hide is hon-kasumi, Shigehiro are kasumi (slightly different).

I just heard back from Kasahara-san that neither he nor Ikeda-san are involved in the Hide knives.

I just heard back from Kasahara-san that neither he nor Ikeda-san are involved in the Hide knives.

Good to know! Imagine the similarities have to do with that both knives are coming out of Sakai.

Also this thread has just got me going reading more about Ikeda-san. If it ends up that you can't more information in this thread without being considered unbiased, would love to see a thread in your forum to discuss Shigehiro in more detail.

Someone needs to get one of these just to feedback to KKF. Just as research, of course.....

Back