Morimoto Knives (Sakai)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tward369

Reaction score
Has anyone handled Morimoto knives? I know Tosho used to sell some, so his input would really be useful here.

Here's what I know about these so far:

Koichi Morimoto was certified as a Master of Japanese Traditional Crafts for blade grinding and sharpening by Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry in 1987. He runs his business in Sakai with his sons.

Mamoru Morimoto apprenticed to his father Koichi Morimoto in 1996. Was awarded “Naniwa-no-Meiko Wakaba-sho (Young Meister in Osaka)” by Osaka's prefectural government in 2003, and was certified as a Master of Japanese Traditional Crafts for blade grinding and sharpening by Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry in 2012.

Some examples of their work:

137352387.jpg

137352366.jpg

137359137.jpg

bg01.jpg

usuba_ta225.jpg

yanagi_ta_h300.jpg

To clarify, I'm asking for info- in the search results you linked, the Morimoto referenced is Iron Chef Morimoto and not the Morimoto bladesmiths. I was hoping to learn more about them and their knives. Thanks!

This yanagiba looks really nice in the last picture. You might have more luck messaging tosho directly, I'm not sure how much of the forum they read outside of their subforum. But they are good about direct contact. They are very active on facebook too.

I'll be watching for responses as well. Like the finish on the Usaba, do they do a Deba? Would peg my cool meter.

I think Jon might know his son, I found this facebook event created by JKI two months ago... which seems to be what the OP posted...
https://www.facebook.com/events/1654580161445590 said:
At this event, we will introduce Sakai Hamono - what it is, how it is made, and why. Morimoto-san will demostrate the way that he sharpens, and will also explain his general work routine. Jonathan Broida and Sara Motomura-Broida, the owners of Japanese Knife Imports, will provide simultaneous translation for our guests. We will also have Q&A session following the demonstration.

Mamoru Morimoto was born to the Sakai’s 2nd generation knife sharpening family in 1975. He was apprenticed to his father Koichi Morimoto in 1996, and started his knife making career. He was awarded “Naniwa-no-Meiko Wakaba-sho (Young Meister in Osaka)” by Osaka's prefectural government in 2003, and was certified as a Master of Japanese Traditional Crafts for blade grinding and sharpening by Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry in 2012.

this is supposed to be a picture of Koichi Morimoto (from here):
20151008_j02-600x401.jpg

20151008_j01-600x401.jpg

And this looks like his website, but I don't read kanji.

http://www.morimotohamono.com/

I have not owned one before but hear me out

Short story: It's good.

Long story:
Apologies if you know all this already but for the sake of other people on this forum..

Like most Japanese knife brands in Japan, knives made up to a certain standard are purchased OEM from a blade smith with their brand on it. Morimoto's little introduction suggests that they are knife sharpening experts, so their message to consumers is that they are doing the sharpening. I believe the two most common major defects in cheaper japanese knives are 1. not-straight blade and 2. uneven primary bevel. If they are doing the sharpening then 1. will be unlikely and 2. will be very unlikely. Also the price.

These knives are made by a regulated, 'certified' blacksmith in Sakai (the marking on the handle). I don't know if it's really just a con, but from what I've seen the certification is real. I have one too, from the touristy knife shop in Kappabashi (blue steel and very nice), and another brand often mentioned in this forum, Sakai Hide, also has this. They are all in roughly the same price range, and I imagine all have a similarly excellent finish.

Ryann, thank you for this very helpful input. I can confirm this- I reached out to Jon, who graciously replied:

"Yes, we did host an event for Sakai Blades, and had an honor to see everyone from the city, including Mamoru Morimoto. However, as he was coming to our store for the city and not for his own family, he didn't have any knives that he sharpened to show. He and his family has a great reputation, and many knife brands use them to sharpen their knives. They are sharpening professionals, not blacksmiths to be clear.

Outside of this, because i'm not in business with the guy, there is not much more i can say. We are friendly, but we arent talking about knives when we talk for the most part."

Back