What do you guys think of this???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have this little parer without a handle in my shop, and use it for many things: trimming cigar ends, opening boxes, coring apples, you name it))) Used it without thinking, just because it is there, until today. I also take home knives without handles, (just ground, put an edge on it, but without a polish or rounding) for test cutting and I usually make a dinner with that. Can't say that the knife is not functional without a handle.

Then came across a knife made by Murray, without a handle. He calls it it a field kitchen knife, or something like that.

So for a kick of it, what do you think? Does an idea of producing knives (parer or a small gyuto) without a handle have a merit?

70mm parer/small utility knife
field knife.jpg

PS: I made this knife as a gratis piece for a overdue order. The one I use in my shop, is not as pretty. )) All edges are smoothed and rounded, and the handle contoured to sit comfortably in a hand. I can use it as a parer in my kitchen in a heart beat.

i use knives like that all the time. I think it is a great idea. by the way where is my little paring knife. I miss her.lol Happy and a Merry Christmas brother!

Could definitely use something like this around the house/garage. Would not make a bad stocking stuffer =p

Personally I prefer a handle. If it's going to see rough duty then some nice synthetic but the kiridashi look isn't my cup of tea.

I slept on this idea, and I like it. I think there are three possible derivatives that will come out of this - a letter opening/paring/small utility knife, a neck knife and a paring knife. The first two I need to figure out a sheath for.

I also think of making these in damascus)))

Son, your parer is staring at me right now. All these knives are derived from that little parer)) I will have to give it back, unfortunately)) and you can pick one of these three above.

I like the idea, especially the all purpose knife version

My I suggest that you make the handle skeletonized, at least in the case of the neck knife.

My I suggest that you make the handle skeletonized, at least in the case of the neck knife.

Actually, the neck knife will have a cord-wrapped handle and a kydex sheath. The paring will be just countered and rounded, so it sits comfortable in the hand.

Would impregnating the cord with epoxy be enough from a sanitation standpoint?

I was talking about the neck knife... And if that ended up with blood on it, I would probably ditch it (or ask a friend to hide it for awhile at least). :biggrin:

Originally I suggested to skeletonized the handle and Marko mentioned he was planning to cord-wrap the neck knives. Both would work in this application. I would not recommend it for a kitchen knife for the very point you mentioned, sanitation.

Latest posts

Back