• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Exploring the idea of a Konosuke Honyaki 270mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagohawkie

Reaction score
Am beginning a search for a Konosuke Honyaki 270mm. Am open to any of the steels used be it white or blue steel. Any suggestions or comments from from owners, past owners or users would be helpful as well.

It would be interesting to hear a comparison between Konosuke and Sukinari Honyaki's. I'm thinking about a honyaki myself.

My 240 while 2 mirror polished is a lovely knife. It is of a wide bevel knife designed, but the sharp shoulder is blended because of polishing. With that dense heavy crossed-wa-yo handle, the whole knife feels very solid and rather heavy for Sakai 240mm size. A 270 version, would be awesome, I think.

RDBn6nAWWvaRbBFGBLGiGxLXVjIZ0O9mvvNrWqaR-30AA3G46b8x9iOFzwCacJR3q7Ou6evgkoj3ANmAU437TwFoHxod0TITpgVq7hRCxwR5LkAMudBQuAPrgRNtC2mxuJiTT4U8E-3mRzAWrEBLDnlHCcZAfAMrwlC5ZKjCiOmOPn7UFaHpo5So-7t2uOXn8YBZA8zUpw5jdue-Yx7CIZaPdTdIvC-nFzv9abaGTxWhfBjfQXCq3B6CPii9WzlSXChkWZd5TDNUTKot8qVK2fWkG3VeCJKA6KkheFXLE5lRCzYmQOBTWzxnl1zZNjoEuFkoD4oOMrrD9uj7F65GbPTO4Kvj_2--TNADGROjrphL_YygpwjMbraC6zEcgJjkwdSJsW2GyA2aGagUG2FdEotu1mSG4O1jv6fwt4mTAtB5HhrChI4WOxc1F_xbw76O0kCPxNBfsiYFlBcTg0Ukl5jgb9dkoyu4bt9lqisVdllShQO4j5tvjj5jC17BAMGncREO53l8v6Z7a3A3x5lO0WLVczgd_l6D67AMWcIUNIXVAsoWpQFJ8qsNEAd-eQh64LTb=s1280

So to be specific there are at least 4 blacksmiths who make Honyaki knives for Konosuke. The Double beveled mirror polish white steel knives are the most inexpensive, then comes the white 2 double bevel very thin knives with no visible bevels, then there is the Fujiyama blacksmith who does Honyaki in blue and white steel (they look exactly like the one pictures above but the primary bevels have a satin polish instead of mirrored. Lastly there is a blacksmith who makes single beveled knives with a Hamon that looks like Mt. Fuji , these are super expensive. So there is a lot of choice and comparison

Where would one find these knives?

Oh I don't think anyone has them in stock, and last time I checked. The wait time was several months depending who made it. I would contact one of their dealers as they don't sell to customers directly. If you want to see previously sold examples I would check out Tosho Knife Arts and that website we aren't supposed to talk about

I've seen the blue and white 2 270 honyakis commonly available here and there. I'm patient and can wait for someone who wants to part with one. Just throwin it out there that I'm lookin. :D

My 240 while 2 mirror polished is a lovely knife. It is of a wide bevel knife designed, but the sharp shoulder is blended because of polishing. With that dense heavy crossed-wa-yo handle, the whole knife feels very solid and rather heavy for Sakai 240mm size. A 270 version, would be awesome, I think.

RDBn6nAWWvaRbBFGBLGiGxLXVjIZ0O9mvvNrWqaR-30AA3G46b8x9iOFzwCacJR3q7Ou6evgkoj3ANmAU437TwFoHxod0TITpgVq7hRCxwR5LkAMudBQuAPrgRNtC2mxuJiTT4U8E-3mRzAWrEBLDnlHCcZAfAMrwlC5ZKjCiOmOPn7UFaHpo5So-7t2uOXn8YBZA8zUpw5jdue-Yx7CIZaPdTdIvC-nFzv9abaGTxWhfBjfQXCq3B6CPii9WzlSXChkWZd5TDNUTKot8qVK2fWkG3VeCJKA6KkheFXLE5lRCzYmQOBTWzxnl1zZNjoEuFkoD4oOMrrD9uj7F65GbPTO4Kvj_2--TNADGROjrphL_YygpwjMbraC6zEcgJjkwdSJsW2GyA2aGagUG2FdEotu1mSG4O1jv6fwt4mTAtB5HhrChI4WOxc1F_xbw76O0kCPxNBfsiYFlBcTg0Ukl5jgb9dkoyu4bt9lqisVdllShQO4j5tvjj5jC17BAMGncREO53l8v6Z7a3A3x5lO0WLVczgd_l6D67AMWcIUNIXVAsoWpQFJ8qsNEAd-eQh64LTb=s1280

Unspeakably cool

Who would these blacksmiths be?
Also a bump, looking for an Ashi/Konosuke white 2 270mm Honyaki.

So to be specific there are at least 4 blacksmiths who make Honyaki knives for Konosuke. The Double beveled mirror polish white steel knives are the most inexpensive, then comes the white 2 double bevel very thin knives with no visible bevels, then there is the Fujiyama blacksmith who does Honyaki in blue and white steel (they look exactly like the one pictures above but the primary bevels have a satin polish instead of mirrored. Lastly there is a blacksmith who makes single beveled knives with a Hamon that looks like Mt. Fuji , these are super expensive. So there is a lot of choice and comparison

Do you use that beauty at all? While very beautiful, that mirror polish has got to be a pain to keep perfect

Do you use that beauty at all? While very beautiful, that mirror polish has got to be a pain to keep perfect

Ah yes, regularly and I have not actually bother to repolish the blade just yet.

Jx_6bENP0ZukNzbImH7gOygMwUtn8BZqGGe6uBCHeCHgv28m4b3mb5NM8AqSFaGh_SkYLol_s1UX9M2ogwV9-tV24lLBl7G89kdXWTMO5GL_AF2jWIcmM5YT4dzE9gKuFSmdeoJ-mEXYqBSGb2YaBhqQ6QCmWrUdKZGuL4Wp9JOnQ-_oMFA0q0dy-p251iJr6MVX-Znk9kEnxdLSvixceNtRhJMTPkC_3gCWXP8ctGQMmvgBjYFv7VKQWBE447peSkTTS5D2Az1iAuimWmllM8oWig-Hg4HAjFfWU99uknRhdsRZz6Mwe80nEOU63VSzgo-53efsZ6qA6lEfJnGmDMQ6lcflzjamgC_sWp3jK1wNCFAxu3yCIctpIBAzUUCgJB605PPY3efcAya153xnWCr-g_ZKpKM3A2r9Klc6hrXkGJ4ajXzSEfRNoJi2ERKeSL3qnhdrh3ubjLjHSj-pFfCUU-8qy_yUcMEwC7nwbqEUSLzgOp5V8VWFe47NAJOm_zstUzfKPirhCvV1Bj4HXcLoXe-JmuYXenx1l-BYbpQ2Y4ZyMeDkh3sQjbH0retWZ_dI=s1280

Ah yes, regularly and I have not actually bother to repolish the blade just yet.

I sort of like to see that moreso than the original. Knowing that so much work went into the knife, it's a shame for it not to be used. Any noticeable drag from that mirror polish? (apologies for taking this off-topic, last question, promise)

I sort of like to see that moreso than the original. Knowing that so much work went into the knife, it's a shame for it not to be used. Any noticeable drag from that mirror polish? (apologies for taking this off-topic, last question, promise)

Not quite from a home user perspective. It cuts quite similarly to other Sakai wide bevel knives that I have tried.

Anyone know of a stock pile of konosuke honyaki knives? I would like to find a used one....obviously lol.
Thanks guys

When I began this thread I was looking for the Ashi / Konosuke white 2 Honyaki gyuto in either 240 or 270. The search has turned up one 270, but it was in pretty bad shape and the owner wanted a mint for it, so I passed. These have proven to be the most elusive knives I've encountered. I have pretty much resigned the fact that it may just not be in the cards for me to obtain one. Recently Jon said that the Ashi smith that forged these is in fact alive, but either inactive or just not making these at the time. So, I guess I remain cautiously optimistic that perhaps they may once be available again down the road. I recently picked up a new Kono blue 2 shiraki forged Honyaki 250 mm Honyaki with a wonderful hamon that has tempered my disappointment, but alas the search goes on for a 240 white 2 Honyaki. One day......

That is, hands down. one of the most beautiful knives on the planet. I have several Kono's but I will not be happy until I get one with that handle! Although I do understand they can crack on occasion.

Oh I don't think anyone has them in stock, and last time I checked. The wait time was several months depending who made it. I would contact one of their dealers as they don't sell to customers directly. If you want to see previously sold examples I would check out Tosho Knife Arts and that website we aren't supposed to talk about

OK...bait taken.....
Why?

This isn't meant to be skeptical but I find it funny that the Fujiyama smith is not the one making the knives with the Mt. Fuji hamon

This isn't meant to be skeptical but I find it funny that the Fujiyama smith is not the one making the knives with the Mt. Fuji hamon

When I posted that it was correct, however now there are a few people doing Mt Fuji Hamon, each are a little different. They're all masters though the 3 I'm aware of are all Dento Kogeishi

Back