Food for the Blizzard of 2016

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellow Mid Atlantic members, what's on you menu for the storm? I have made/am making the following:

Tomato Soup
Smoked Pork Shoulder
NY Strips for the water bath, finished with green peppercorns and maldon salt
Chuck Roast (need the recipe for that one, maybe a stew)
Chicken drumsticks (need the recipe for these too)
I'm also going to try and replicate the pizza I had at Zaytina which had for toppings sous vide eggs(65 for 1 hr) and a Greek cheese which I can't remember so I bought Manchego.

I also have a gallon of Apple Cider to heat up, a partial case of various Stone Brewery beers, and lots of red wine!!

Looking forward to this and hoping we don't lose power, I have a very small Honda generator but it can only run a few things at once. I'm plan on cleaning up the garage and it's heat source is electric.

Chaucer's mulled mead, taylor ham bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, jiffy pop, homemade pizza is on my menu so far.

For dinner tonight made a Tuscan chicken dish w/ rehydrated porcinis, using bone-in, skin-on thighs (that's the only way we usually roll). Added a little harisa when thickening the braising liquid to a sauce at the end. Also made a pot of cheesy polenta to pair with it; was a great combo with sauce.

Tackling cassoulet for the first time tomorrow (assuming we have working utilites in the late morning/ early afternoon). Sadly the recipe my wife wanted to try out is duckless... :O Will work in some duck fat just becuase, well, because I can (and should!).

Got a good stock of 'everyday' wines and plenty of liquor to help get us through. Of course I may have to give most of the liquor to our 2 year old so he'll settle down and go to sleep... The snow so far today has gotten him pretty excited.

Getting kids down right now so the wife and I can quietly enjoy the new speakers on the home theater and some wine! Tomorrow is slowww cooked chili, and nips of Scotch and Cognac throughout the day! Fingers crossed power stays on!

Tomorrow: roasted turkey with sage butter, garlic mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing with smoked pork shoulder, sauteed shallots with green beans.

Eeeeww, there is white stuff outside.

No idea what I am having, I didn't do the shopping. But I know there is chicken and salmon in the house, and a gas grill in case the power goes out.

Stefan

Looked at moving the gas grill around into the carport early this afternoon, but snow was already underway and it was going to be such a PITA 4-wheeling it around I figured it will be less effort just to dig the dang thing out if I need to use it tomorrow or Sunday.

About 15" and counting with 2' drifts! And expecting another 12-18 between 8am and 10pm! This is amazing!

8:30 am and still have power. That's a good sign. Snow drifts to 2 feet already with more wind to come.

Plan was to mostly use up what's in the freezer and finish off leftovers since we figured we'd lose power anyways: honey chipotle sockeye, swordfish steaks, lentil stew my wife made... Don't have a lot of fresh stuff left, but I'm going to make some miso soup for post-shoveling sustenance.

about 12-14 inches where wind has been scouring, and drifts over 3 feet at back and sides of house. At this point is has been snowing for 20 hours, and ther is another ~20 hours to go.

We have 14" so far. Fortunately the snow flakes are pretty tiny so the accumulation isn't too rapid.

We went out for a walk around 11pm and the local beer garden was still going strong. Bought a beer and hung out by the fire pit. We had about 7-8 inches then. We now have about 18-20 inches with another 10 or so to go:bigeek:

Dinner was good but boring. I did the steaks and some mashed potatoes. Scallions as a garnish so I had some green.

I did this braised pork shoulder my Italian mom used to make. Simple but hits the spot on snow days like today.

Coat a 3 to 8 pound pound Boston Butt with OO, S/P, rosemary, red pepper flakes and some garlic salt. Score any large chunks of fat.
Brown in a Dutch oven on med heat
Remove meat, soften an onion or two, some garlic
Return roasts and add enough warm chick stock to come up 1/2 up the roast
SECRET INGREDIENT: 2 cups of white vinegar
Bring to a boil, cover w parchment lid
Cook in oven 375 till internal is above 190F. 2.0 hrs. Add water half way if needed. Don't cook with your oven on convection
Remove braise from oven, reduce gravy
Increase oven temp, put roast back in to brown a bit

Pull meat serve on mashed potatoes, pickled beets and a good red wine. The gravy should have a distance tang from the vinegar.

I did this braised pork shoulder my Italian mom used to make. Simple but hits the spot on snow days like today.

Coat a 3 to 8 pound pound Boston Butt with OO, S/P, rosemary, red pepper flakes and some garlic salt. Score any large chunks of fat.
Brown in a Dutch oven on med heat
Remove meat, soften an onion or two, some garlic
Return roasts and add enough warm chick stock to come up 1/2 up the roast
SECRET INGREDIENT: 2 cups of white vinegar
Bring to a boil, cover w parchment lid
Cook in oven 375 till internal is above 190F. 2.0 hrs. Add water half way if needed. Don't cook with your oven on convection
Remove braise from oven, reduce gravy
Increase oven temp, put roast back in to brown a bit

Pull meat serve on mashed potatoes, pickled beets and a good red wine. The gravy should have a distance tang from the vinegar.

Sounds great, and I love pickled beets!

I've got a big pot of chili going, so between that and some bourbon I'll be staying plenty warm!

Blizzard 2016 Side.jpgHere is a picture of our patio.

Nice Kamado Bill! For how bad the conditions are it blows my mind how many ppl I see driving down the road

Nice Kamado Bill! For how bad the conditions are it blows my mind how many ppl I see driving down the road

Thanks, that is the large Green Egg, which was given to me by a customer, along with a 2 X 3 container containing every accessory offered. She had started a fire on her deck and was now scared to use it. She was so happy with our work she just gave it to me:doublethumbsup:.

Latest posts

Back