Marinate for Pork Tenderloin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko9

Reaction score
Hello people, I'm looking for ideas for a marinate for a pork tenderloin. My wife would like it cooked on the BBQ with Plum Sauce so I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for an overnight marinate to compliment the plum sauce?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Jack

Don't marinate it. Brine it and give it a dry rub with sugar-free cocoa powder, salt, cumin, pepper, and chili. The cocoa powder goes great with plum sauce. Just make sure it's not sweetened.

Don't marinate it. Brine it and give it a dry rub with sugar-free cocoa powder, salt, cumin, pepper, and chili. The cocoa powder goes great with plum sauce. Just make sure it's not sweetened.

Thank you - Do you have a brine solution that you would recommend? The dry rub is simple enough but I was considering cooking it with the plum sauce on (over the dry rub?).

Thank you - Do you have a brine solution that you would recommend? The dry rub is simple enough but I was considering cooking it with the plum sauce on (over the dry rub?).

A 2% equilibrium brine. I would not cook it with the plum sauce on it. It will leave the meat too wet to sear and the sugars in the sauce will burn. I would just cook it with the rub on, and have the sauce served on the side.

A 2% equilibrium brine. I would not cook it with the plum sauce on it. It will leave the meat too wet to sear and the sugars in the sauce will burn. I would just cook it with the rub on, and have the sauce served on the side.

Thanks for your help - I'll give it a try tomorrow ;-)

+1 on the brining. I brined a couple of veal rib chops the other night and it made all the difference in the world. Even my wife's chop was really tender and juicy (she likes her meat well done sigh....)

My tenderloin is sitting in a 2% brine in my frig. My next concern is talking the wife into BBQ'ing with a dry rub instead of a wet plum sauce. I have a day to work out that detail ;-)

You can also throw a handful of herbs in the brine if you want....I just use whatever fresh herbs are hand in the fridge or back yard. Also, I usually let it dry for a while before grilling so it will get a crust (more important with poultry that has a skin that you want to crisp up but it still helps.)

You can also throw a handful of herbs in the brine if you want....I just use whatever fresh herbs are hand in the fridge or back yard. Also, I usually let it dry for a while before grilling so it will get a crust (more important with poultry that has a skin that you want to crisp up but it still helps.)

For pork tenderloin - I have fresh basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary - what would you suggest that will go with the plum sauce?

Rosemary and thyme are pretty classic with pork. Maybe a clove of garlic and some peppercorns. It all depends on what you like....it'll be pretty subtle if you are using the dry rub which will dominate the flavors. The brining makes sure the meat is seasoned all the way through.....It makes a difference on mild flavored meats like pork or veal. I really like brining turkeys...that makes a huge difference.

Rosemary and thyme are pretty classic with pork. Maybe a clove of garlic and some peppercorns. It all depends on what you like....it'll be pretty subtle if you are using the dry rub which will dominate the flavors. The brining makes sure the meat is seasoned all the way through.....It makes a difference on mild flavored meats like pork or veal. I really like brining turkeys...that makes a huge difference.

I just went out to the garden and sniped a few twigs of rosemary, thyme and parsley and added it to the brine. I like the idea of garlic and peppercorns so I'll add just a few of them.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jack

A salty marinade will work like a brine. If your wife likes plum BBQ , how bout trying something like soy, sherry , brown sugar , garlic , ginger, scallion and a little sesame oil? I use a little hoisin and A pinch of 5 spice too. Goes well with plum.

A salty marinade will work like a brine. If your wife likes plum BBQ , how bout trying something like soy, sherry , brown sugar , garlic , ginger, scallion and a little sesame oil? I use a little hoisin and A pinch of 5 spice too. Goes well with plum.

That sounds great - I already have the loin brining in a 2% equilibrium solution with herbs but, next time in 3 or 4 weeks I'm going to try your recommendation.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, next time skip the fresh herbs in the brine, without warming the water first, their not going to bring much to the party. Maybe try a dry brine.

Up to 24hrs in advance, rub pork with 2 part salt, 1 part sugar and 1/4 part baking soda. Shrink wrap tightly and Let rest in refrigerator. Before cooking, rinse and pat dry the loin. Season as the Mikes suggested, just don't use salt. You can also add baking soda to your brine too.

Garlic, ginger and scallion - I've heard it called the Asian Trinity and use it as such. From the other side of the world I also like a chimichuri type marinade for pork tloin. One of nice things about pork tloin is that meat won't be on the grill long enough to burn the crust (unless you go nuts with the fire)

Chimichurri is an awesome marinade for skirt steak. Hey Mucho, what does the baking soda do?

Helps with having clean teeth after dinner. And clean breath.

Actually it serves as Browning agent when used as described. Mucho has mentioned this a couple times and I've started incorporating it into my grilling stuff.

Jack, next time skip the fresh herbs in the brine, without warming the water first, their not going to bring much to the party. Maybe try a dry brine.

Up to 24hrs in advance, rub pork with 2 part salt, 1 part sugar and 1/4 part baking soda. Shrink wrap tightly and Let rest in refrigerator. Before cooking, rinse and pat dry the loin. Season as the Mikes suggested, just don't use salt. You can also add baking soda to your brine too.
Dry brined a whole chicken for the first time for about 30 hrs. First whole chicken my wife has pulled off after many failed attempts, she was pretty psyched. It was awesome! Minced sage, thyme, and pepper under the skin; kids were almost fighting for the skin.

I still forget about the baking soda trick most of the time.

It may not apply to whole pork tenderloin, but with relatively thin cuts or slices of meats, baking soda also increases the alkalinity of the surface ,making the protein strands resistant to the coiling and tightening that occur when searing. It may improve the texture. Good for stir fry.

I did the 2% equilibrium brine with some herbs, garlic and peppercorns overnight. Then applied the dry rub with non-sweetened cocoa, chile, cumin and pepper. I'm going to cook it on the BBQ with some apple wood chips for smoke and apply plum sauce at the end just before I let it rest. I'm thinking I'll cook it to 130 degrees before I pull it for resting. Going to serve it with rise and veggies (whatever my wife picks out). So nice to be able to BBQ in Feb. in Northern California BUT - we need more rain!

The baking soda will denature protein if in high enough concentration, but it also lowers the temperature that Maillard reaction (browning) takes place at

The baking soda will denature protein if in high enough concentration, but it also lowers the temperature that Maillard reaction (browning) takes place at

I am definately going to try using baking soda next roast, it sounds very useful to get the Maillard reaction going soon enough to cook without drying out the meat.

I am definately going to try using baking soda next roast, it sounds very useful to get the Maillard reaction going soon enough to cook without drying out the meat.

Yeah controlling pH is is a good tool to have, just be careful with how much you use or your guests will think you're secret ingredient is soap

The pork tenderloin was great with firm tender meat and a great flavor. I marinated the roast for the second half with plum sauce and pilled it at 138 degrees and let it rest for 25 minutes. It was great, we have half left over for another meal tomorrow - another adventure ;-)

Latest posts

Back