first gyuto recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgray

Reaction score
Usa

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yesor no) stainless or stainless clad

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$175

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Both

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) slicing chopping veggies slicing meat chicken some fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I have a mix of chicago cutlery andcsome other cheap knifes at home at work is al dexter house knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip some pointing

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)push cut a kinda straight up and down with a little glide some rocking and walking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) more sharpness and better retention

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not particularly big on the hammered or Damascus

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Food release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Weekish

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)i ordered a king 1000/6000 combo

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS I am not againist carbon knife but i think most in this price range are pretty reactive. At sur la table i tried a miyabi kaizen and thought the handle felt bulky for the knife not sure if that helps

One 240 for both home and work:D.

Western Handle Tojiro High Speed Powder Steel. Good grind, edge retention, and easy to sharpen. Knives and Stones. Stainless

Tanaka Ginsan G3 steel Wa Handle another good medium priced blade. Metalmaster if you can find them in stock. Again Knives and Stones has a upgrade version fair price. Stainless

Gesshin Uraku Wa Handle Japanese Knife Imports comes with a Saya Stainless

Any of these knives huge improvement over what you are using now. Quite a few choices in your price range.

Can get an Ashi Hamono Ginga swedish stainless (AEB-L, most likely) gyuto 240 for $183.99 from bluewayjapan . . .

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231819936721?_mwBanner=1

HrC is 59 but I imagine the edge would last you a week, with minor touch ups. Perceived sharpness will also last longer because the grind is so thin.

What is the difference between the ashi and gesshin ginga stainless. Is it just the heat treatment or are they different steels also?

Same steel. The gesshin version is 61 hrc, has spine/choil rounded, and comes with saya. Also get to do biz with Jon, who is very knowledgeable and helpful. But you couldn't get a ginga at your price point. Could go with uraku tho like Keith suggested above.

I started my research into Japanese knifes about a month or so ago. So far I have many many more questions than answers. About 2 weeks ago I sent metalmaster an inquiry about getting octagon handle on a v10 tanaka and haven't heard anything back. I understand that the fit and finish may need to round the spine and choil.
http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/40

The Gesshin Uruka is up next from what I understand the F&F will be great and it comes with a saya but it is out of stock. I have sent an email to see how long the wait will be.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

the Tanaka Ginsans from Knifes and Stones aren't currently being made according to James

These are interesting knives Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni but I haven't been able to find out much info on them. Im not sure what this means "• Sharpning---Beveled edge mostly and flat edge few times on whetstone" they seem to have less flat profile than the Tanaka, does anyone have experience with these? Does anyone have a similar knife recommendation in this price range?

url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381390191813[/url]

The Ashi Hamono Ginga seems to be the most "laser" like out of this bunch.it is the thinnest lightest and shortest height wise probably the softest also. I'm not sure about going to a knife this height.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-GINGA-Swedish-Stainless-Wa-Gyuto-Knife-240mm-/231819936721

The Ashi and Gesshin are mono correct?
Are there more wa handled carbon core stainless clad knives that I have missed?
And how do shop on global.rakuten as a newbie or is that something that should be left to more knowledgeable knife shoppers?

thank you
Jeff

As an update i ended up buying a konosuke hh 240 off b/s/t at tight around my max budget so far i love it. It has taken a little getting used to as it is so light compared to anything I have used in its size range. There isnt a whole of info that i have found about the hh. Does any one know if it is Abl?

I'm glad you were able to find something! Be sure to post a review if you find some time!

Back