Why damascus?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
Why would you get a damascus knife other than it looks great... I'm looking to get a knife done by mert... Always wanted to get a damascus knife... But i work in a kitchen, and it's not going to be baby-ed at all, like any of my knives... I was just thinking if it will last, will it be harder to maintain, is it reactive? (1080/1095/15n20)...

Damascus is 99% for appearance. There could be a minor argument made for the cladding increasing toughness in the same way san-mai does. Also, stainless steel included in the damascus will add to the corrosion resistance of the end product. However 1080/1095/15n20 are all non-stainless and won't resist rusting or patina, nor will any particular one add much toughness to the blade.
Day to day maintenance for these steels (pattern-welded together) is the same as any carbon steel knife - so no it won't be harder to maintain and yes, it will reactive.

The biggest problem will occur when you try to thin the knife, relieve the shoulders, raise the shinogi line/primary bevel - basically anything that scratches up the sides of the blade. This kind of longer term maintenance will scratch off and remove some of the pretty patterns. It's possible for you to bring them back with things like ferric-chloride etchant, sandpaper, etc... The level of difficulty to do this is medium to high, depending on whatever Mert did to finish it and how fussy you are with how it looks.

I've got a couple of 1095/15n20 knives from Mert and they are reactive, but not that much in my experience. I also have a shirogami with a takefu white steel core, which is a better core steel, but the cladding seems more reactive. It was super reactive to some pomegranites I was cutting up tonight.
Your best bet is probably to email Mert and ask him.

Back