Durian in chicken soup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessf

Reaction score
Since finishing my honesuki project I find myself with an excess of chicken parts. Today I roasted them bones and pieces at 450 then transferred to a stock pot and covered with water. The darker the stock the better. I didn't add anything to the stock and just let it simmer. I didn't really want any mirepoix or traditional herb flavor. I strained the stock and used the same pot to brown some boneless chicken leg meat. Separately I chopped a generous about of green onion, several garlic cloves, shitake and a finger long hot red pepper. All that stuff went in the pot then covered with stock.

The next part may be a leap of faith for some, but I imagine anyone that likes durian would have come this far. Add as much silky durian as you wish, fresh or frozen, whatever you can get. Salt and pepper to taste.

I'd add more heat next time, but the richness of the dark stock combined with the mouth filling aroma of the durian takes this to a new level.

I'm certainly not. Just saying if you've got some inexpensive stuff laying around, why not toss it in chicken soup? If you like it raw, try it cooked.

'inexpensive'??? how much are they in Canada??

Durians are ridiculously expensive in Australia now. Used to be $3-4/kg, now it $8-10. so a whole one is like $30AUD which is like $30 CAD

I got a whole one for $2.59 a pound. Came to $17 or so. I've seen frozen lobes in packages that I would consider the cheaper stuff only because you can buy what you need and not the whole fruit. I guess the cost per pound would go up if you bought smaller amounts. Are you saying you DON'T have a monthly durian allowance?

nope.. I wish I did but can't justifiy 30 bucks a durian ( I can eat a whole one in one sitting)

I save up enough and fly to Malaysia to get them instead.. so much cheaper

Latest posts

Back