Newbie in Asia looking for a new gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepFriedPotato

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been lurking around for a while finally decided to sign up and ask the common newbie question of what knife to buy.

-Malaysia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
-Chef's/Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
-Righty

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-I like Japanese handles but don't mind going western.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-240mm would seem the most well rounded length. Don't mind going longer or down to 210 though.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-No, but the maintenance side of it seems a nice benefit.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
-RM500 or US$ 125 or thereabouts.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-Veggies, boneless meats. Chinese food prep really.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-Shi Ba Zi veggie cleaver/Honmamon (no idea who makes this, I read it's possibly a Zakuri with less F&F?) 240mm kurouchi blue #2 Gyuto.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
-Push cuts, slice, chop. I don't rock.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
-Aesthetics isn't a priority at my budget. Don't mind a patina, damascus would be nice but is a plus that isn't high on priority especially given my budget.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
-Definitely want something on the lighter side that goes through food a little easier. Not necessarily laser, but I don't want something I need to thin for 2 hours to get useable.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
-Doesn't have to be stainless, but preferably something not super reactive. The honmamon(Zakuri?) gyuto I have is kurouchi with aogami 2(?) core and doesn't seem to be oxidizing much. Doesn't turn my onions any kind of colour anyway. So, something around there or less reactive is fine.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
-Edge retention - 3-4 weeks in a home kitchen seems fair.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, wood and plastic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No. Already have a King 800/4000 and a 8000 from Honmamon.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
My budget is pretty tight, I'd rather be under 125 than over. Being in Malaysia, shipping from the US or Europe is expensive, so I'd rather buy direct from Japan.

Hocho knife ships direct from Japan and had some lower priced knives

JCK (Japanese Chef Knives) may be your best bet as he subsidises shipping but the $125 limit makes it tight nonetheless. His entry level 'JCK original' series fits the limit - I have only had a carbonext petty from that family and it is quite nice, and less reactive than normal carbon steels, which is a bonus.

JCK (Japanese Chef Knives) may be your best bet as he subsidises shipping but the $125 limit makes it tight nonetheless. His entry level 'JCK original' series fits the limit - I have only had a carbonext petty from that family and it is quite nice, and less reactive than normal carbon steels, which is a bonus.

I've been looking hard at the carbonext and the stainless clad blue 2. But have read both are beefy but don't know exactly how thick they are.
I don't mind doing some thinning behind the edge but don't want a massive project knife.

Also been looking at tanaka vg10 but the 240 seems out of stock everywhere.

Back