Tanaka vs Tadafusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopperHarley

Reaction score
Hi,
i´m looking for a 240mm Gyuto and can´t decide which is the best for me. My favorites are Tadafusa and Tanaka Blue #2. I like the look of the Tanaka way more but the Tadafusa has Stainless Cladding which would be nice. How do theire performance compare? Are there any other knives at this price. Not a big fan of kurouchi finish i do like a clean look Wa-handle and flat profile

Germany

KNIFE TYPE
I´m looking for a 240mm Gyuto

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
180€

KNIFE USE
at home

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Tojiro DP

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

thanks for the help

The tanaka will outperform the tadafusa at least my 240 tanaka 240 > tadafusa 210. Tanaka does make an all stainless variant that is killer. Very nice performance grind vs tanakas Damascus more work horsey.The Damascus is an amazing performer though if you can handle all carbon. Just buy some bar keepers friend.

I only have a Tadafusa petty but absolutely love it after a thinning session. I've been pleased with the edge retention. That said, Tanakas get all kinds of love around here. Awaiting a blue ii 240 from metalmaster to see for myself. Bluewayjapan on ebay has Ichimonji Kichikuni gyutos which look to be Tadafusa oem at a decent price, with some different handle options that might suit you better.

I don´t have any experience with Tadafusas, but I have a Tanaka B2 damascus Nakiri and a VG10 damascus gyuto. Both have unbelievable performance. I think they´re worth atleast twice the price. Their grinds really are something exceptional. Neither have a flat profile though. I believe all Tanakas have some curve to the belly.

So they both wouldn´t be bad choices in terms of performance. Is the profil also comparable or has is one of them more flat than the other?

So i have found a profile pic of the 240mm tadafusa and it seems to be that a lot of you guys have tanaka knives so can someone tell me if the tanaka gyutos are profile wise like that or not?
ei3mr2pj.jpg

thanks a lot :knife:

i sold mine, but if i remember correctly, the tadafusa is flatter than the tanaka.

I actually think they're pretty similar: both have more belly than a "normal" gyuto, with a shorter flat spot. But maybe that's just me; lord knows I have less experience than most here.

Back