Pull through Global knifes Minosharpener.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueWolf

Reaction score
I picked this sharpener up when just starting out with kitchen knives. I didn't then and to be quite frank still don't have experience with sharpening stones. I have only used the Minosharp on pretty low end knifes so far. It's just quick and easy works pretty well. It is a bit different than most pull throughs in that you submerge little different grade ceramic wheels in water then lightly "pull the knife through" However I picked up a few decent Japanese knives and haven't put them on the Minosharp yet. Main reason is on my beaters like Tojiro DP I noticeed that it leave feathering smears of scratches. So I guess it is what it is, a basic ceramic wheel pull through, that works pretty good but will scratch your knives a little. So I have left the few other knves I have new in the box. Any opinions on the Minosharp?

Many years ago, I bought one of these too. At the time, I only used some Arkansas oil stones and cheap Chinese aluminium oxide stones. I tried it out with a few of my Wusthof knives. The results were rather poor. I honestly believe that the edge after using the device was worse than they were before using it. After three days I returned it to the store - a chef's supply store. They did not want to believe that the Minosharp was making the edges blunter and said "no one has ever complained about them before".
After a short discussion, I left them so he could talk to the rep (Global). After a couple of weeks they begrudgingly gave me a store credit. I cannot recommend it at all.

Footnote - for a while I used a system called Furi Tech Edge II. This is a pull through system using "fingers" of either diamond coated or plain steel. They used to be marketed in the USA by Rachel Ray. The Furi knives and sharpeners do not get any love around here but that said, were more effective than the Minosharp. However, neither is worthy of a recommendation.

I've never been a fan of pull- throughs. Japanese knives are not symmetrically grinded and the edge you get from these devices are so so. Stone sharpening is the way to go.. just takes time and practices makes perfect.

Many years ago, I bought one of these too. At the time, I only used some Arkansas oil stones and cheap Chinese aluminium oxide stones. I tried it out with a few of my Wusthof knives. The results were rather poor. I honestly believe that the edge after using the device was worse than they were before using it. After three days I returned it to the store - a chef's supply store. They did not want to believe that the Minosharp was making the edges blunter and said "no one has ever complained about them before".
After a short discussion, I left them so he could talk to the rep (Global). After a couple of weeks they begrudgingly gave me a store credit. I cannot recommend it at all.

Footnote - for a while I used a system called Furi Tech Edge II. This is a pull through system using "fingers" of either diamond coated or plain steel. They used to be marketed in the USA by Rachel Ray. The Furi knives and sharpeners do not get any love around here but that said, were more effective than the Minosharp. However, neither is worthy of a recommendation.

Well I am not that experienced with sharpning but 8 quick strokes on the Minosharp seems to do the job pretty well. Works a lot better on Thinner profile Japanese knives. I think it is somewhat of a unique system in that it it a Pull thorough but has diff grade stone wheels in water. Still scratches though. For cheap knives I figure it is still kinda useful, but wouldn't use on nicer ones. I have the 3 wheel one BTW

I'm definitely with ynot1985.

From what I recall, the Minosharp produced uneven edges. The wheels rotate according to their will - there is no consistency, even that found in a (shudder) electric sharpener. And the edges weren't very good. That was with Wusties. I never tried them with any Japanese blades then - not even Global. Wouldn't even dream about it now.
Go with water stones - learning is fun and the results are very rewarding.

LOL

[video=youtube;nhBolWfpjuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBolWfpjuQ[/video]

[video=youtube;dDJ6YJJjBLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDJ6YJJjBLI[/video]

If you have to use a pull through, use the one from the manufacturer's system: a Global sharpener for Global, a Wusthoff sharpener for Wusthoff etc etc...

I know this Minosharp thing is kind of a joke. Heh heh yeah that instructional vid is pretty funny.

Back