cheap Tanakas available at MM

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
For anyone waiting on the cheapie Tanakas at MetalMaster, they've reloaded their inventory.

Beware, these are not the same knives sold by James at KnivesandStones...spine/choil will be sharp, handle will have plastic ferrule...that said, same grind and steel all at very good prices.

Also, if you've not ordered from MM before, beware that sometimes orders just sort of fall off the map...so if you're not in a hurry and won't stress an extended order...

:biggrin:

So what are you stalking For?

Buy the knives. All the knives. Resistance is futile:angel2:

Price stalking things that fell into my price range. My first natural stones were from MM haha.

Man...I have the best influences because of KKF

Does anyone know if the VG10 Damascus line also has plastic ferrules? I have a ho wood + horn ferrule nakiri from Tanaka that is VG10 damascus, not MM purchased though.

OK, I'm missing some long term experience there. What is the downside to plastic ferrules in practical use?

Indeed: the plastic ferrules are made of poop and come with all metal master tanaka knives, until sometime in late January. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

I'm kidding.

OK, I'm missing some long term experience there. What is the downside to plastic ferrules in practical use?

They can work loose as the wood expands and contracts, stretching them out. Almost always a lip between handle and ferrule. These handles' problems are deeper than that. Just looks and feels like some of the lowest grade ho wood. I sanded the hell out of mine and oiled but the grain seemed to want to pop up constantly, and it didn't take on much color at all. And wasn't worth further trouble.

Thank you for the tip chinacats, Although my Arashiyama stone is from MM, I do not look at that website very often, however, my experience with MM is good in responsiveness and pricing, even if the shipping can take some time to get here to the Bay Area.

PLease don't buy them up. I'm buying one for a wedding present tonight.

They are pretty badly finished, as in the wood is not sanded flush with the ferrules sometimes. Ferrules may also come loose after some use.

I personally find the cheap western handle versions better if you are not into rehandling. But the Western versions are half tang so you can't really even rehandle them without it being a pain.

New to the forums, what's the hype on Tanakas? I hear the name thrown around, are they just good-for-the-price nice knives? What's stellar about them?

New to the forums, what's the hype on Tanakas? I hear the name thrown around, are they just good-for-the-price nice knives? What's stellar about them?

High end grind (that still leaves plenty of room for thinning if you like), very low price for great steel treated very well. Fit and finish is somewhat bottom of the line but the knives cut great...and as has been stated, the handles kind of suck. If you want to try one without the issues, check knivesandstones.com which is a kkf vendor. Same knives with much better handles and overall finish.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing if I've got higher end stuff like Masakages and I'm not interested in project knives and stuff I'm not the market for it? The damascus looks nice, might be a good gift knife looks like.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing if I've got higher end stuff like Masakages and I'm not interested in project knives and stuff I'm not the market for it? The damascus looks nice, might be a good gift knife looks like.

The K&s versions would work. They are very well finished with higher end handles (the WA handless) and they are ready to go OOB definitely not project knives. James will even put a nice edge on it if requested. But better stay clear from other vendors regarding Tanaka if projects aren't your thing

I've gifted a 190mm red handled (the 2 rivet western handle) VG10 gyuto to a family that was only using like cheap Chinese store cleavers and santoku and such. Huge step up compared to that. $75. Decent thinness going to the edge, and I put it to the stones for a more durable initial edge before delivery. For such occasions, I always lay down the ground rules in usage and maintenance though...don't want to cause undue harm or need for repair.

Yeah, I didn't have a small nakiri around anymore so picked up one...75 usd w/ shipping...reactive as hell blue 2 dammy:)

I've yet to try one of his nakiris and wanted to compare to the few good ones I've owned/tried. Wish K&S or even MM would offer the 180 he makes...

Yeah, I didn't have a small nakiri around anymore so picked up one...75 usd w/ shipping...reactive as hell blue 2 dammy:)

I've yet to try one of his nakiris and wanted to compare to the few good ones I've owned/tried. Wish K&S or even MM would offer the 180 he makes...

Uuh, Tanaka makes a 180 nakiri? I'm game! Let's give James a little push? :D

I have the B2 Dammy 165 nakiri and it's brilliant. It's stupid easy to get screaming sharp, very thin behind the edge and vintage Tanaka convex grind. I just get to use it too rearly as it's too short for my liking. Every time I do it makes me smile... OK grin? :D

How long does it usually take people to get an order from Metal Master? I placed an order with them on Jan 23, emailed a couple times asking what was happening with the order, and finally got a shipping notice on the 30th. However, the tracking number is showing that the package hasn't been scanned into the J-Post system, indicating that it hasn't been dropped off at the post office yet. Is this normal, and what should I expect, in terms of when they will actually drop the package off at the post office?

In my experience the communication wasn't the best, but the knife arrived when it was supposed to, even though I too had some trouble with the tracking. Ordered the 28th, arrived the 11th. I bought through eBay and used the free shipping option. Chances are you just need to be patient.

How long does it usually take people to get an order from Metal Master? I placed an order with them on Jan 23, emailed a couple times asking what was happening with the order, and finally got a shipping notice on the 30th. However, the tracking number is showing that the package hasn't been scanned into the J-Post system, indicating that it hasn't been dropped off at the post office yet. Is this normal, and what should I expect, in terms of when they will actually drop the package off at the post office?

It takes a while. Upside is availability/price downside is they don't do an upgraded finish and it's MM:) Usually slow, piss poor communication, lack of updates. I enjoy ordering from them but only when I'm in no hurry.

Chances are you just need to be patient.
Yep

One other note, I posted another thread about the newer blue 2 damascus being less reactive. I now have two new blue 2 damascus knives and both are much less reactive than the days of old. That was the only reason I sold the first one I had...it was far more reactive than any carbon knife I've owned.

In my experience the communication wasn't the best, but the knife arrived when it was supposed to, even though I too had some trouble with the tracking. Ordered the 28th, arrived the 11th. I bought through eBay and used the free shipping option. Chances are you just need to be patient.

I'm glad things worked out for you, but I don't think I'd call a week plus of handling time in my case "arriving when it's supposed to," especially for a Japanese business. As a point of comparison, I also put in an order with another seller located in Japan on Jan 27th and that package has already hit US customs. EMS shipping was used in both cases.

I guess I worded my question a little poorly. Rather than asking if it's normal, I should ask if it's typical for MM to have these kinds of delays. I have no doubt that I'll get my knife eventually, but it would be good to know in the future if I can expect the same level or service, or if they just had a momentary lapse in a usually higher level of service due to whatever circumstances.

For anyone waiting on the cheapie Tanakas at MetalMaster, they've reloaded their inventory...
Also, if you've not ordered from MM before, beware that sometimes orders just sort of fall off the map...so if you're not in a hurry and won't stress an extended order...

Read more. Type less. These pages are rife with stories about MM. Your experience is VERY typical. If you didn't know what to expect, exactly what to expect, .......

Read more. Type less. These pages are rife with stories about MM. Your experience is VERY typical. If you didn't know what to expect, exactly what to expect, .......

Generic statement vs. specific experiences.

I'm glad things worked out for you, but I don't think I'd call a week plus of handling time in my case "arriving when it's supposed to," especially for a Japanese business. As a point of comparison, I also put in an order with another seller located in Japan on Jan 27th and that package has already hit US customs. EMS shipping was used in both cases.

I guess I worded my question a little poorly. Rather than asking if it's normal, I should ask if it's typical for MM to have these kinds of delays. I have no doubt that I'll get my knife eventually, but it would be good to know in the future if I can expect the same level or service, or if they just had a momentary lapse in a usually higher level of service due to whatever circumstances.

Use the search function and browse the forum. It is typical.

In addition, you've also been told so by other members. What other type of confirmation do you want?

Generic statement vs. specific experiences.

That "generic" statement comes out of more than a handful of specific experiences. I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't a crucial factor in ordering from MM...read any threads related to this and you can find more specific experiences than you can shake a stick at...and in regards to this, as DaveB said...

Now in regards to searching this forum, best to use Google as in "site:kitchenknifeforums.com searchterms" to get any good results.

For anyone waiting on the cheapie Tanakas at MetalMaster, they've reloaded their inventory.

Great pick up. I just bought a 180 KU Gyuto and have an old Toyama handle to fit it. Hopefully one for the wife! Now the waiting begins...

View attachment 34435
I highly recommend the wa r2 series. This is a 180mm gyuto and a 150mm petty. Edge retention is rediculous. I had two western Tanaka r2 years back, and I could kick myself for moving them. Current pricing (and availability) will probably keep me from ever owning one again.

Back