• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Takeda AS 210mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danzo, I've read a bit about how the AS is preferred over the stainless. Mainly due to shape and edge grind. Care to elaborate on your decision?

I just have 3 stainless clad knives and I want to try something that isn't. So the shape is different? I was under the assumption that they were basically the same

I can't find confirmation. I was hoping you had more detail. But hopefully once you get an AS, you can compare.

theres one on bst I think with an usuba by fujiwara

How do I tell if a certain takeda has a "poor" grind or not? Buying online seems like a crapshoot, that's why I'm posting here to try and snag a good one

How do I tell if a certain takeda has a "poor" grind or not? Buying online seems like a crapshoot, that's why I'm posting here to try and snag a good one

One indirect indication is how wide the bevel is. The wider, the thinner the grind. Also - if the whole wide bevel was sharpened you would be able to see the low spots. Still - my understanding is that the issues with the Takeda is rather the too narrow (and thus too thick) grind, not issues with high/low spots. If you google the kkf you will find some comparison photos of 'before' and 'after' some grind corrections were done. I think that also Jon posted such photos.

What Matus said plus a decent picture of the choil end on could help possibly. There are some with pronounced arrowhead shape as the middle of the blade is forged thin for great food release. But the ones ground too much inclusive angle are reported to be very wedgy.

There appears to be a huge variation in edge grind and profile on Takeda gyutos. I love mine though.

Back