• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carbon Honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a simple Carbon Honesuki to try out and see if I like the Honesukis, never used one.

No specifics other than that I want Carbon. Western or Wa doesn't really matter, as long as it's a wooden handle. No plastic ferrule if it's Wa handle.

As this is a trial run, I'd like to spend les than $100

Ideally knife has a decent working edge (I'm not a good sharpener), Patina is fine, doesn't have to be cleaned off...

Schau Dir mal das Misono Carbon an. Liegt aber etwas über Deiner Budgetgrenze.

If you're interested in semi stainless jki has a line called rinkaku that's within your price range. Somebody brought me back a stainless from the fish market in Tokyo that I like tons more than my old 10" wusthoff for cutting up roast chickens.

+1 for misono Swedish carbon honesuki. Ive had it for 2+ years and often cut thru bones with it too… no issues with joints or splitting back bones of chickens (I also whack the spine with the palm of my hand to force it thru sometimes). So far no edge deformation or chips either and it holds a good edge. I think the price is around your budget depending on where you look (I got at JCK with the saya but Korin probably has too)

JKI also has Rinkaku honesuki which are even more budget friendly, but only in semi stainless :(

If you really want to do a cheap trial-run, look on ebay for Masahiro Bessaku, I think bluewayjapan or one of these other stores sells them. They're dirt-cheap. It's not entirely clear whether they're carbon or semi-stainless, but they should be about 58-59 HRC. They're also sold under the name of Masahiro rose.
There are some comparable offerings from Kanehide floating around. They're probably not the greatest things in the world, and have cheap functional handles, but as a 'tester' you can't beat them.

If you really want to do a cheap trial-run, look on ebay for Masahiro Bessaku, I think bluewayjapan or one of these other stores sells them. They're dirt-cheap. It's not entirely clear whether they're carbon or semi-stainless, but they should be about 58-59 HRC. They're also sold under the name of Masahiro rose.
There are some comparable offerings from Kanehide floating around. They're probably not the greatest things in the world, and have cheap functional handles, but as a 'tester' you can't beat them.

My Bessaku hankotsu is A.) awesome, but B.) very sure it's semi-stainless. Never full-out pantinas, quite, but it will discolor and kind of wash out in spots.

Also, I had to sand the scales down flush with the tang. No deal breaker for me, but Jon/JKI has a butcher line (that's likely the same stuff) that he won't send out without sanding and buffing and generally churching up a bit. Iirc, it's not on his website, but if you call or email him, he can tell you what's in stock.

Back