Greetings from Georgia...the State, not the Country.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppartain

Reaction score
Hello all,

There I was, in the middle of one of my legendary "rabbit hole" web surfing experiences when I came across this site. Now I've been camped out here for the past several hours reading threads, looking at pictures, and being blown away by the craftsmanship I'm seeing. I saw a question posted in one of the forums that I wanted to answer...that was an hour ago, and I'm still trying to become "legal" so I can do that. :) However, I do understand the reason for the extra steps and agree that it's worth it.
When I was younger, I considered myself a knife collector, mainly because I bought a bunch that I thought were cool and put them in a box. In truth, it's more of an accumulation of cutting tools than a proper knife collection. Only recently have I begun to investigate and appreciate the quality and availability of custom knives, and I'm plan to invest in a few for kitchen and "field" use. Though I've yet to acquire any of the custom/boutique knives that I've been lookin at, as a former active duty U.S. Marine (Sergeant), I have acquired all of the "you gotta have one of these if you're a Marine" knives; USMC Ka-Bar, the "folding knife with various opening mechanisms" collection of Gerbers, Kershaws, Schrades, Spyderco's, and a Benchmade of unknown origin, plus the obligatory Leatherman. Oddly enough, the ONE knife I lusted over at age 13, the Kershaw Survival Knife #1005, has evaded me. I'm too old to run around the backyard playing "Rambo", but I'd still like to add one to my "accumulation" one day if for nothing more than nostalgia.
Anyway...that's probably far more info than anyone wanted to read in a brief introduction. I could have summed it up with "you guys have and make some amazing knives, I don't have any really cool knives (well, unless you're 12), I'd sure like to get some one day soon...the end."
I'm not sure I even remember where that original post/question was now. :scratchhead:
Semper Fidelis,
Philip

Semper Fi Marine. I too have the "obligatory " collection you speak of. Wait until you get into these kitchen knives. An entirely new world.

PI graduate 1985-1989.

Thanks for the welcoming messages!

Thanks all! I'm a "PI Marine" too. 1990-1996. MOS was "2651"...trained with the Navy "CT's" in Pensacola and, after 3 years at Marine HQ in DC, I was attached to the Naval Security Group Detachment in Guam for a couple of years. I was just a plain old "Sergeant". A "Gunnery Sergeant" (aka Gunny) is two promotions/pay grades higher so, though it would be an honor, I don't rate that title.

Thanks again everyone! I'm looking forward to learning from and sharing with you all!

Philip

Back