Kramer Meiji sale at Sur La Table

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know when this sale ends?

Does anyone here have experience with the 5.5" utility? There seems to only be a little past information on the forum about the knife.

Any thoughts on how it would perform compared with something like the Gesshin Ginga? Seems to be a very similar or perhaps the same steel (the core steel).

The Meiji felt pretty nice in the hand, although not super light. Haven't had a chance to hold the Ginga to know what the difference in use, comfort etc would be. Any thoughts would be useful.

If only the carbon Kramer's were on sale too... T__T

My thoughts exactly. First it was the Essentials, now the Meiji, maybe the Euro Carbon will be next?

One can only hope! I've got a Sur gc that I've been trying to use for damn near a year now. haha.

I'm always a little bummed out when ever I see the "Meji" title. There is no doubt the design is a vast improvement over his original but in all fairness he should have called it something else.

Right or wrong, there might be a few members here who will understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'd been interested in the Meiji line, but not at the normal price. I've been wanting to pickup a stainless petty, the Meiji utility on sale was tempting enough to get me into the store.

On a whim I tried the 10" chef knife. What a beast of a knife! I like tall blades being a cleaver guy, but even this seemed a bit much, especially at the heel.

The santoku looked interesting. In my eyes its sort of a cross between a honsuki and santoku. Picking up a Meiji, you notice the handle. The d side of the handle is more like v shaped. People are going to either love it or hate it. I found it to be comfortable. The handle is heavy pulling the balance point back towards the heel. The spine and choil are rounded. Overall the blade is on thin side. The blade is tall even for a santoku, which I appreciate. There is a little bit of curve going up to the tip. The k style tip is a nice touch.

There was too much to like about the knife, including the price, so I picked one up. I wasn't expecting much out of the edge. The demo knife was on the dull side. It was a pleasant surprise to find a decent edge on an out of the box knife. My go to test is dicing up tomatoes, the Meiji passed with flying colors. There was some talk on the Sur la Table site about the raised edges of the damascus creating space. It seems like that would help more with dense foods such as cheese.

The first thing I noticed about the utility was the handle. I like bigger handles on smaller knifes. The blade is tall for a utility. It's almost as tall as my 270mm sujihiki. The Meiji is a half inch longer then the utilities in the Euroline and Essential. The blade appears wider and has a more gentle sweep up to the tip. The tip is very thin.

Too bad the sale didn't last longer. At these prices the knifes were worthwhile.

Jay

Back