What is your worst knife purchasing ever?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eslph92

Reaction score
I found myself thinking about it; most of us have more then average knifes in their collection, some of them were probably filled your expectations more than others and others were a big dissapointment for you.
In my small collection there's a lot of "bad purchasing" knifes, including some pricey ones.

What's are yours?

GS-1 by Global without any doubt. Bought it together with the G-2 I really like a lot. Crazy design with a high tip and an unusable handle. And the usual sharpening issues with Cromova.
A good competitor though is a Kai Wasabi: crazy big carbides making sharpening a real challenge.

I agree that the G2 is a decent knife..handle, steel and grind aside it has a nice useful profile

Richmond Artiflex AEB-L cleaver. Slapped together by folks who know nothing about cleavers.

Probably that time I ordered a honyaki gyuto. Paid nearly two weeks wages and waited nearly 6 months for it. My most exciting gyuto purchase. I planned to use it daily. When I received it, the entire blade was warped. Never got a chance to cut with it and lost some money in the currency conversion.

Talk about faint praise? At least you didn't also add something like it's a decent knife aside from the geometry and heat treatment.
Praise must be given where it's due but I guess it came off a little like an oximoron

Bought a set of Füri's prolly about 10 years ago. Attraction at the time was that they were Australian and also had some connection to my hometown of Brisbane so got that warm fuzzy feeling of supporting a local business. Also liked the handle and blade being made of the same material. Embarrassingly, now that I am more enlightened, it never even occurred to me at the time that if the blade is made of the same material as the handle, then the steel can't be much good.

Anyway they served their purpose and are now serving out the rest of their days as beaters for the rest of the family.

I was on a waiting list for three years for the opportunity to order a knife. When the time finally came I ordered a Damascus Chef's knife for myself and a non Damascus knife for a friend. I trusted this highly regarded maker would produce great knives so I didn't make any specific requests.

After several more weeks of waiting the knives arrived. I was hugely disappointed. Over three years I've been waiting!

I contacted the maker and expressed my disappointment. Gave him the reasons why and summed it up with "I was expecting the perfect knife". To his credit he offered to make me "the perfect knife". I could tell by the tone of his e-mails he was a little incredulous that someone would return a knife. This time I gave him specific dimensions. Weight, height, length, profile and geometry. I sent the original knife back and waited a few more weeks before receiving the new knife.

I got the new knife and will say.........It was stellar. Possibly the "perfect knife". The guy knew how to make a great knife. Sometimes we all rest on our laurels and I believe this was an example. Because the process was somewhat tainted I decided to sell the knife on e-bay.

I learned a lesson about dealing with knife makers and sold the knife for eight times what I paid for it. My friend also sold his for a large profit.

The sad part of the story is some well-off non pro in New York has what might be the best knife in the world.

Wow. Great story Salty. I totally get how something might be structurally perfect but the emotional connection just isn't there.

If it doesn't move you, it's just a piece of metal.

Oh geez, off the top of my head.......
Mizuno Tanrenjo suminigashi
Mizuno Tanrenjo 390 Blue DX honyaki yanagi w/ebony and silver
Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 honyaki (Not sure what color)
Masamoto 240 KS gyuto (I think it's a KS, could be honyaki)
Masamoto petty
Hiromoto stainless with carbon core 240 gyuto
Honyaki 240 gyuto (Can't remember the name)
Masamoto 360 yanagi
Rader 190 tall gyuto
Rader 390 Damascus slicer
Masashi stainless 240 gyuto
Mizino Tanrenjo stainless 240 gyuto
Huge and heavy cleaver from TC Blades
Another stainless carbon core 240 gyuto (Can't remember name)
Tojiro six inch boner
CCK cleaver
Ealy 240 gyuto
Randy Haas Damascus 270 suji
Carter funayuki . Probably a 210
Maybe a dozen more. I'd have to watch my inventory video to see what else is left.

Mostly old school stuff.

Salty, I can tell that you are a Mizuno fan. I am as well, however my selections are much fewer than yours....for now. Mizuno makes a fine knife without a doubt.

The sad part of the story is some well-off non pro in New York has what might be the best knife in the world.

Damn dude, now we all want to know what knife!!

I really wish I could've used my Mizuno. Maybe someday I'll try again...

Damn dude, now we all want to know what knife!!

I really wish I could've used my Mizuno. Maybe someday I'll try again...

P1010963.jpg

None.
I'm guessing there is still a couple people who still don't know.

I don't have any regrets with the knives I've bought.
I feel like my real failure is failing to stop my friend from buying some Kamikoto Knives :(

Tojiro Petty: cheap enough, but still not worth the money.

Zwilling Kramer FC61 8": low rent workmanship, odd blade profile, hard to work with. Not impressed.

My worst purchase wasn’t a purchase but a gift of single bevel knives I received while I was living in Japan. The knives were fantastic but I took them to the stones without receiving proper instruction first. Bad news. Just to respect the theme of the thread I’ll throw in my carbonext gyuto as my worst purchase ever.

Bought a Blenheim Forge 125mm Petty, which is my least favorite / used.

Mine was a 240 Hattori HD damascus Deba. 8 years ago I thought it was a kind of gyuto. Super grind, super heat treat but also 400 gram zombie slayer I have no use for.
- Kim

Back