What is your worst knife purchasing ever?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my worst purchasing are knifes that came out with broken tips and massive shoulders (masakage yuki bunka) and others with poor edge retention for their hardness (furikazan zdp189) and actually, it seems that I having hard time to find knife that hold my expectations over intensive long term use.

Without a doubt a 180 TF Denka Gyuto! Worst FnF of any knive I ever had! Handle misfit with huge gaps up to the bolster. Bolster fitted and welded by the worst craftsman imaginable. Grind was mismatched from side to side. It makes me laugh when I hear all these stories of how great these are. I’d say the chances of getting a good one direct are one in 10. You really never know what your gonna get.

@Eslph92 - funny you should mention a Masakage Yuki :(.
I was debating with myself wether to mention my Hattori because it was more expensive and just a fail, but my Masakage Yuki 180 gyuto is by far my worst knife. It had crazy fat sholders and didn´t cut well at all. After it was thinned into a super model it is still off. It is very hard to explain, but it feels as if had the knife been a 240 it would be fine, but it is a 180 so it feels mega tall and short, which it really isn´t.
- Kim

Masakage Shimo 150mm petty

Zero (absolutely zero) edge retention, and rusts when you wave it over a tray of ice cubes. No amount of patina will tame it and it will discolor anything it cuts. Onions immediately turn into black sulfur. I only use it for cutting dried meat, charcuterie, etc.

Masakage Shimo 150mm petty

Zero (absolutely zero) edge retention, and rusts when you wave it over a tray of ice cubes. No amount of patina will tame it and it will discolor anything it cuts. Onions immediately turn into black sulfur. I only use it for cutting dried meat, charcuterie, etc.

I have the same knife, I actually like it as a petty, when I get it sharp it's really really sharp but it can't cut anything that is even remotely acidic and needs to be babied, the guys at knifewear recommended a coffee patina but I never got around to it. My worst knife is my 105mm ai deba, it isn't a bad knife but I have no use for an ai deba lol

I can get the Shimo screaming sharp, hanging hair sharp, but no matter the sharpening technique, I can't get it to hold an edge past two minced onions.

My worst knife buy was a Shun Classic 150 petty. Not that it would be a particularly bad knife, but in the long run it has cost me several thousands of € in furhter knives and knifemaking equipment ;)

Without a doubt a 180 TF Denka Gyuto! Worst FnF of any knive I ever had! Handle misfit with huge gaps up to the bolster. Bolster fitted and welded by the worst craftsman imaginable. Grind was mismatched from side to side. It makes me laugh when I hear all these stories of how great these are. I’d say the chances of getting a good one direct are one in 10. You really never know what your gonna get.

buying in person is the only way regarding the grind

@DamageInc how does it compare to other shirogami knives you have in edge retention?

I have a Hinoura gyuto (the son, not the father) in shirogami, and edge retention is much much better. Same goes for my Teruyasu Fujiwara nakiri.

The Shimo will lose its edge within 3 minutes of use, not even joking.

Maybe Carter was even more right than I assumed about Shirogami being what the smith makes of it...

Back