What do you do when you're broke and waiting between interviews?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
As some of you know, I have been out of work the last few months. Almost everyday I do 2-3 Interviews. I'm on the subway 3-4 hours a day and 2 times a week I do 10-14 hour working interviews. Only to be told I'm over qualified or they just can't fathom that an executive chef of 23+ years would want to step down to a sous chef position. I gotta work, pay rent, eat and take care of the girl. I don't care what I have to do and that includes selling my knives. (Thanks KKF for the assist).

With that said, while I wait for my interviews I am being productive. Years ago I used to be on the pow wow circuit. I made knives, war clubs, jewelry and sculpture. I also made leather medicine and pipe bags. I did pretty well and made good money. Anyway, about 15 years ago I traded one of my knives for a piece of oiled Buffalo hide. I was going to make some boots and maybe a brief case but, since I didn't know how to make either one of those things I put it away and lugged it with me Everytime I moved. Life got in the way and I forgot about it.
Since I've been out of work. I've had a lot on my mind and making things helps me release the tension of my day. I decided I needed a new chef bag. Not a knife bag. Something I could throw in some clothes, a couple knives, a book and something to drink or even a pair of shoes. I want it to be practically indestructible yet stylish. Anybody that knows me knows I have very old School tastes. So it had to be leather, over built yet completely utilitarian.
I have never done this before. I'm not someone who uses patterns or asks for help when I do something. Consequently, I usually do it ten times harder than it needs to be and since I don't know the right way to do it I'm not hamstrung by the rules.
So anyway this is what I did. It still needs a shoulder strap I haven't gotten around to making that yet. I have an old belt and a bunch of swivels and clips that I found on the street or subway that I can use for that.
I never made this before. No patterns, no measurements, just eyeballed it. I have no vice, no sewing machine, no stiching pony. I only had thread, a needle and a pair of pliers. Oh and grommets and a hammer. It was a *****. Each row has 4 braided rayon 100lb test threads double stitched. It ain't coming apart.

IMG_20171003_003924737.jpg

IMG_20171003_003957831.jpg

IMG_20171003_004002987.jpg

IMG_20171003_004007791.jpg

IMG_20171003_004147778.jpg

IMG_20171003_004324573.jpg

IMG_20171003_013512161.jpg

IMG_20171003_013520274.jpg

IMG_20171003_013534974.jpg

IMG_20171003_013544443.jpg

That little silver metal thing is a German military seabag lock. You can clip it or put a padlock on it. Cast stainless steel and heavy as all get out.

IMG_20171003_013615160.jpg

IMG_20171003_013644236.jpg

IMG_20171003_013654379.jpg

IMG_20171003_013918398.jpg

IMG_20171003_013928058.jpg

IMG_20171003_013947847.jpg

Dimensions of the bag are
21 inches long
9 inches wide.
Oiled bison leather 10-12 ounce
Brass hardware
5/8 inch brass grommets

Thanks, brother. It'll be a nice sling bag once I make the straps.

Sorry Sachem that you are in this position, it aint easy. I wish one could get paid for the power of wit and insight, for I have long enjoyed your posts. Not least your tag line quote. Foooooking spot on! And your Chef’s bag is terrific. Make a few and post them here. Many of us I am sure would love to buy one.
Not to derail your post, but there is a major issue here that effects many of us.
In the States is has been getting harder and harder to survive as a cook. Not that it is much better anywhere else, but in the U.S. it has become comical.
About 15 years ago I used to help out once a week at a rescue mission in a large Californian city. The head Chef, i.e., the one getting payed, was a true magician and over qualified. He loved it even though the pay was marginal. After some years of strain between the internal bureaucracy (i.e. the ones getting the real money) he was let go. So now on the open market looking for a gig along with weekly dialysis he starts the long struggle. After a few weeks of rejections and his pay request down to 15 an hour, he finally asks one restauranteur “what is the problem here and why on earth are you not hiring me?” The guy answers, “see that guy sitting over there, he’s willing to do your job for 8.”
Good luck to you and may you land the big one.

Nice bag. I'm in the same position. Waiting for the right place to show up! I wish you the best of luck in the search too.

As for what I do while I wait.. I sharpen every knife I can lay my hands on, and am contemplating making a few sayas for my knives aswell.
I guess being away from the kitchen brings out the DIY-er in us eh? ahah

Son, pack up the missus and head down to DC! With a massive development called the Wharf staring to open in 9 days, 22 new restaurants and bars are opening just along one small strip of the river. Staffing these places, places, as well as a lot of other places located throughout the city, has been a real challenge based on all I have been reading and heard from some of the chefs around here. I understand sous chefs are in high demand, even if that is 'below' the level you could/ should be working at.

Anyway, very nice bag, and it is always a treat to see the things you have made by hand. You are a man of many, many talents.

As someone who for years has only peered from the outside into the restaurant industry (usually as a customer), I have found it almost unconscionable how little most of the kitchen staff are compensated, despite how talented and experienced they often are (not to mention incredibly hard working). I generally believe in the free market system, but . . . .

Latest posts

Back