WORKHORSE THREAD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexP

Reaction score
Hello forum.
Im new member here, reason Im posting is because Im desperately looking for a Workhorse knife.
Yo or wa will both work.
I am seeking for 24cm to 27cm knife.
I cut everything vegies, meats, poultry, fish, hunts, herbs everysingle day!
Stainless or carbon will both do. I never owned a carbon in my life but i want to.
I do sharpen but not that good. And i dont have the time to do it often.
I previously used global knives, zwilling, wusthoffs, victorinox, yaxell, kai wasabi. I liked none. I found them non edgy enough, not durable enough, not comfy enough. Also the sharpen wasnt enough even for a day sometimes.
Cant wait for your responds. Thanks!

Welcome.

At the top of this subforum is a "Which Knife?" questionairre - if you'll fill it out then recs can be provided that (mostly) meet your requirements,

I fear that if you found European knives to not be durable enough for your needs that you are going to really have an issue with hard Japanese knives.

I fear that if you found European knives to not be durable enough for your needs that you are going to really have an issue with hard Japanese knives.

Maybe i didnt explain that right. Durable as in their edge lifetime

Ok hello guys i filled the questionairy. Im looking for a workhorse for myself. I hope the questionary will help you help me. Thank you all

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chefs knife for now

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Both

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
24 to 27cm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Im open to any stainless, semi and carbon knives. Never owned a carbon tho.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Up to 300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)?
I do all the jobs on the list every day, 6 days a week.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Many knives, mostly European

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Chopping, push-pull, roking on herbs

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
I want a knife that will serve me to the max for what I do. I dont want an "ok" knife. I want a good one

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I dont care about the looks

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not to heavy

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Would be good

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
To the maximum, i dont really know how the knives last, i just noticed most i used lose their sharpen at the end of a shift, maybe ecery second shift

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (
Synthetic mainly

Do you sharpen your own knives?
Yes, rookie

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
I keep watching videos

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
I own

You should look into having a custom one made just for you and your specific needs.

Sounds like you need something over built but not hard to sharpen.

Why not look at a western deba in 240 or so? If you try to buy a 'super' tough gyuto I think its likely too expensive or too hard to sharpen (custom/made of super steel/etc). Thin behind the edge is fine for performance but its not always the only grind that makes sense in a kitchen. A hybrid design also Mac Ultimate, which is almost $300 but is even tougher than Mac Pro.

Aristsugo Gokinko steel in either A-type, regular gyuto, or western deba... has HRC-soft tool steels loaded with hard carbides. Not so easy to reshape or thin, but once setup is maybe interesting.

Gesshin Kagero would be a nice fit. Somewhat thin but the stel is pm.

The problem is we don't know your budget, or much else for that matter. Why not fill out the questionairre, as suggested before?

I apologize since i didnt know. I made one in another thrwad

They are over my budget arent they

Same reason why I chose my current car. Cant do anything radical like take it off the road or anything - but you know - its a good car to just sort of get around - even short out of town trips. Very dependable. I dont like the color very much I have to admit, but I can live with it I guess. It's pretty roomy - as long as its not a very tall or fat passenger that needs the space. Handles nice too, for what its worth that is, but sort of leaves me wondering if I should have dished out some extra bucks on some stuff it's missing. I mean, the upholstery has some pretty bad finish to it - I should have definately upgraded that. It's not a big deal - just hurts my eyes sometimes when I look at it. And the speakers could use an upgrade too. But this car is a great all arounder - for the cost.

Say you want to try a carbon blade, go for it. Carbon works best in a situation like yours where it gets used all the time.

The Metal Master Tanaka Kurouchi 240mm Blue #2 is 120.00. You are not out much coin for a true carbon workhorse. It has a rather robust 70/30 grind. You are right handed it works well. JMO but prefer 70/30 over 50/50 edges. The Blue #2 steel is easy to sharpen, takes a razor edge, and has good edge retention. It is a forged blade with bold chisel carved Kanji. The handle is D Ho wood with Water Buffalo horn collar.

Cutting all the different foods it will patina quickly, just wash with warm water & soap, dry completely before storing.

I recommend Masakage Yuki a lot, but it might fit your needs in this case. I wouldn't classify it as workhorse but it's fairly robust at the spine and gets thin behind edge. It's stainless clad with a carbon core of White # 2, so you can have the benefits of carbon without as much maintenance. Edge retention on White # 2 will be better than the knives you are using now, but not excellent when compared to PM steels or tungsten steels, however it's fairly easy to sharpen. They are also fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to find.

Back