D. Martell Coming Soon - 52100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy to announce that I'll be offering a new carbon steel option for my Martell Knives and that is 52100! :bliss:

When I first started knifemaking I selected O1 for my carbon steel choice. This decision was made primarily because I needed security, to know 100% that I was putting out a good product. I knew that the heat treatment for O1 had been dialed in for ages and this was pretty much a sure thing. I've never been sorry for having gone this route but over time I've wanted to try different things, and until recently I couldn't get what I wanted to try the most - 52100.

Recently, 52100 has been made available in the size sheets that I can work with, and when heat treated using state of the art tech, this steel becomes a great performer for thin edged kitchen knives like those we make. What I like about 52100 is it's ability, when heat treated properly, to be a pretty damn tough wear resistant steel with great edge holding ability that sharpens nicely - it's everything a knifemaker could hope for in a steel.

Currently we have a decent quantity of 52100 headed to our waterjet cutting service. All of our patterns/sizes offered in O1 will now be made from 52100. O1 will be faded out.

If you would be interested in getting on the list to have a Martell Knife made out of 52100 please shoot me a PM or email.

This is exciting for me, I hope to bring some of you along for the ride. :wink:

Dave

I have just one knife from 52100 and it was made by BloodrootBlades. It has 64 HRC but is super easy to sharpen. I like how the steel performs and howit feels on stones. I am actually sorry I can not get it stock-removal-compatible thickness around here.
So yeah, bring it on! :)

In the same theme Dave, what will you heat treat 52100 to? Will the prices of the knives go up, since 52100 heat treat is more involved?

New is always better and maybe just maybe we will see a martell honyaki come from this madness, that would be bad ass

I'm aiming for Rc62-63 with cryo. They could be made harder but it's at a risk of a more brittle and chippy edge. This should be the sweet spot but it's always possible to go harder or softer as time goes on.

Yeah saying goodbye to O1 is tough to do, it's like an old reliable friend. :(

For gyuto are there any changes in the grind? Or do you have optional grinds?

For gyuto are there any changes in the grind? Or do you have optional grinds?

The grinds I'm doing now are a tad different than what you have in your knife Rick. You were one of the very first to dive in so you got a sort of transitional blade (that's my best description for when I didn't know what I was doing - LOL). What I'm doing now is what I had in my head back then but couldn't get my hands to do.

The biggest difference will be that today I taper the spine more while leaving it as thick as possible, providing for less flex and more heft plus the lower 1/2 of the blade has a giant blade road/bevel ground in (that's later blended into the top) where the tip is thinned and blended into the main section at the curve part of the profile.

No I can't offer optional grinds as I'm still trying to perfect this one and to be completely honest the last thing I want to do is to get involved in chasing people's ideas of what they want in a grind, that sounds like a nightmare scenario. I have enough trouble with wood and handle configuration options as it is. ;)

I think its a great idea....put me down for 52100 on my knives....that is if I'm still on the list!!!!.....ryan

Oh what's this? :wink:

Metric Assload 52100.JPG

= metric assload of work ahead! :scared4: 120?
Can’t wait to see the future handles, some of the best mine eyes have seen are ones you’ve made

Yes sir that's a metric assload of work for sure. I hope it keeps me out of trouble for sometime. :D

Thanks for the kind words on my handles.

Excited for this project. Dave do you think we could get one or more to play with at the ECG end of April this year? I can promise you, it will get lots of use ;-)

I don't see me being able to get any of them done by then, especially when I have to sell everything I make. :(

So who's going to be first to get a Martell knife in 52100? :spiteful:

BTW, since I don't know the costs to work this steel yet I'm going to intially price 52100 the same as O1. This means the initial 52100 knives will likely be less expensive than they will eventually end up being. Book now and save....Hint hint!

Hi Bill,
I hadn't given much thought to the woods but in your case I'm thinking koa! :)

:eyebrow:

52100... I had a ZK once which was an odd profile with a clumsy handle but the grind was awesome and so was the steel. 2 forum makers are also renowned for their 52100, so, Dave, 52100 would be the only alternative for my placed order for a CPM-154. I will leave the decision up to you! Do whatever you want!

:eyebrow:

52100... I had a ZK once which was an odd profile with a clumsy handle but the grind was awesome and so was the steel. 2 forum makers are also renowned for their 52100, so, Dave, 52100 would be the only alternative for my placed order for a CPM-154. I will leave the decision up to you! Do whatever you want!

I have to decide? Don't do that to me! :D

Start a "help me design my Martell" thread? [emoji41]

Not necessary, I know what I want. When I ordered my CPM-154 gyuto from Dave, 52100 was not available. Now it is and Dave is apparently looking for potential customers. If he wants to do 52100 instead of CPM-154, I am fine with it. I am fine with whatever Dave does! :thumbsup:

Anyone interested please contact me directly so we can make plans, I only ask for a 50% deposit up front.

*Note - as mentioned up thread, I will likely be charging more for this steel once all the costs come in, now is the time to secure the pricing.

Feel free to reach out with your questions. :)

Dave

Back