New to the knife form

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

despair

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't know if the folks here a knife afficionados/makers/collectors or if they use their knives in the course of their work, e.g., chefs, sculptors. But I thought I'd ask and see what turns up.

My daughter is a new chef (sort of chef lite at the moment). She's bought her first set of knives - a 3-piece Shun set that includes a paring knife, a utility knife and a chef's knife. And she picked up a fillet knife, though I don't know what kind.

I know nothing about knives, and I don't know if the knives she's bought are good - my guess is that they are middle of the road okay, but I'm not sure.

So here are my questions:

Are the Shun knives generally good? And, no, I don't know what model.

And, having purchased these, what other useful knife would fill a gap, and what would you folks recommend? I know it's kind of personal, and maybe I should let her buy what she needs and stay out of it. And I may do just that. But I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums and I have merged your two separate introductory posts to one thread

Despair here. A downer of a handle, but I'm not particularly creative.

My interest in knives is mostly vicarious - my daughter is working on becoming a full time chef - and I thought I'd learn some more about the tools of her trade. And, who knows, maybe I'll learn something and buy some decent kitchen knives for myself, which is my primary interest at the moment.

In any case, I'm glad there are forums such as these, since they are very practical ways to learn real stuff instead of counting on so-called reviews on ecommerce sites.

Thanks.

Back