Black tip shark

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Bought a nice little black tip steak because it looked fresh and I've never had it...have no idea of its characteristics but was just going to toss it in the oven in foil with some butter, shallots and maybe a splash of vermouth or slice of lemon...thoughts?

Shark varies a lot by species. I've had more than a few here and on some the flesh is sweet and firm and others they are mushy and can't be made fit to eat. Most that I've had were local caught - would think that if it's retail it would be among the good stuff. For me grilling is usually good, fried works. Can't go wrong with shallots and butter on anything.

Only cooked shark once. Did basically the same thing you are doing but wrapped in parchment and white wine, I'd go parchment paper over tin foil any day of the week as sticking is not an issue, plus when you serve it, it looks better.

Shark varies a lot by species. I've had more than a few here and on some the flesh is sweet and firm and others they are mushy and can't be made fit to eat. Most that I've had were local caught - would think that if it's retail it would be among the good stuff. For me grilling is usually good, fried works. Can't go wrong with shallots and butter on anything.

Thanks Dave. It was sold at a trusted market as both fresh (not previously frozen) and local. I've only eaten shark one other time and enjoyed it...pretty sure it was mako. Normally I'd just toss it in a hot pan but really don't fry much of anything nowadays as it makes a mess in my tiny galley.

Only cooked shark once. Did basically the same thing you are doing but wrapped in parchment and white wine, I'd go parchment paper over tin foil any day of the week as sticking is not an issue, plus when you serve it, it looks better.

Good call on the parchment...only planned on foil because I was going to add liquid...any tricks to contain the liquid aside from using twine?

Dave's idea is good, basically if it's at home I just tear a larger than needed piece of parchment and take a bamboo skewer to it, if it's at work(I've only done this a few times at the belvedere in calgary)

[video=youtube;VHl1AAAeKGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM[/video] is a pretty easy method that works well, when your going to add the liquid do it at the very end as to avoid any messes, saying this I've never tried it with more than 2-3 tbsp of liquid, sheet tray under it is 100% recommended as you can collect the drippings and make a sweet beurre monte sauce, at my last job we added shoaxing, tobiko, scallions, ginger and enough butter to kill a small horse, came out awesome everytime. I imagine the shoaxing could be subbed for whatever sweet liquor you felt complementary.

I've always just treated it like it was a swordfish.

I've always just treated it like it was a swordfish.

Looks quite a bit like swordfish with better color...I've always thought swordfish needed lemon...same here?

I find shark sweet, so I'd go really spicy or keep it sweet (raisins, pine-nuts, tomatoes).
I always think butter/lemon (meuniere) with more delicate/white fish... Shark can stand up to bigger flavors.

I find shark sweet, so I'd go really spicy or keep it sweet (raisins, pine-nuts, tomatoes).
I always think butter/lemon (meuniere) with more delicate/white fish... Shark can stand up to bigger flavors.

Thanks! I love really spicy (think 7-pots, scorpions, etc) but really want to be able to get a feel for the taste...of I like it I will definitely keep it in the rotation (when available) and go for a dish with a kick.

sound delicious..please keep us posted.

my parents blew a gasket when wife and i elected not to have shark-fin soup at our wedding banquet. i prefer to eat the shark steaks if possible..:)

Jerk it, Blacken it, finish in parchment, like they do in Cayman.

Yeah, 7-pots are great! When you mentioned those, I realized I forgot to mention "Shark and Bake", which is how they do up shark in Trinidad (where 7-pots are from).
[video=youtube;TjeGM1YJhhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjeGM1YJhhM[/video]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bake_and_Shark

white miso marinade, then grill

I like the thought but haven't added a grill to the boat as of yet...and a bit cold and rainy:)

Thanks for the ideas...wound up adding a bit of spice--used the parchment inside foil with butter, onion, garlic, ginger, serrano, salt but no pepper (mill ran out and no clue where my pepper is stashed). Thought the taste was really nice though it came out a bit tough and not quite sure why...still getting used to oven but don't think it was overcooked...thought for the next go would be a stew with tomatoes, garbonzos, etc and just go for the low and slow?

Can see where it would do well (likely better) fried or grilled,

In Spain we would cut it in cubes, pass it through flour and eggs and fry it in virgin olive oil... lemon on the side, wine to go with it

Looks quite a bit like swordfish with better color...I've always thought swordfish needed lemon...same here?

Yes and yes.

You can go simple, olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper or go spice it up with some blackening season like Paul Prudhomme's redfish magic. Either way toss it on the grill until medium. Win.

I think her intentions were good but she over sauced it, structurally thats going to be a disaster to eat in a hand. Plus, she could have put the cabbage on first to act like a layer of mulch, holding onto the sauce.

I think her intentions were good but she over sauced it, structurally thats going to be a disaster to eat in a hand. Plus, she could have put the cabbage on first to act like a layer of mulch, holding onto the sauce.

Sauce mulch. Got it!

Bought a nice little black tip steak because it looked fresh and I've never had it...have no idea of its characteristics but was just going to toss it in the oven in foil with some butter, shallots and maybe a splash of vermouth or slice of lemon...thoughts?

Unfortunately black tip shark is now a "threatened species"—"endangered" is the next classification. Dogfish, thresher, North Atlantic blue, shortfin Mako are good alternatives.

That said, your preparation sounds delicious!

I've used Marcella Hazan's sauteed swordfish recipe for shark with much success—swordfish is similar to shark in that it can dry out easily.

A typical all purpose Hawaiian fish recipe is slathering fish with mayo, shoyu, ginger, garlic, butter, scallions, lemon or lime juice, pepper—then wrapping in foil to bake in the oven or over hot coals. Ah, beach memories!

I like the thought but haven't added a grill to the boat as of yet...and a bit cold and rainy:)

Thanks for the ideas...wound up adding a bit of spice--used the parchment inside foil with butter, onion, garlic, ginger, serrano, salt but no pepper (mill ran out and no clue where my pepper is stashed). Thought the taste was really nice though it came out a bit tough and not quite sure why...still getting used to oven but don't think it was overcooked...thought for the next go would be a stew with tomatoes, garbonzos, etc and just go for the low and slow?

Can see where it would do well (likely better) fried or grilled,

Brine it next time

Latest posts

Back