Growing my Chosera collection!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac36555

Reaction score
Let me tell you, I’ve been sharpening, sharpening, sharpening every knife I can find with my Chosera 800 and am starting to find a rhythm for angle, pressure, feel, and sound. Every knife is getting sharper and more consistent with is totally cool. I’ve noticed that I can start to “feel” when I’ve made a burr by the feel on the stone, as well as the sound it makes when the side has been throughly sharpened.

Now that I’m getting a more consistent edge, I couldn’t help myself and bought a Chosera 3000 yesterday and can’t wait to polish up my 800 grit edges a little more. Next up will be a Chosera 400 and then either an Arashyama 6000 or Kityama 8000. I also have been enjoying my Atoma 140 for flattening and an “attempted” thinning job that didn’t go so well.

Congrats!

I don't know why it took me so long to grab a Chosera 3000, but I grabbed one a month or two back and it is quickly becoming one of my favourite stones to use. I have been stropping on it more than anything and the edge-refining it is capable of is almost magic.

I like my Arashiyama and my Kitayama but I feel that the Naniwa Junpaku (Snow/Pure White) fits with that set quite well. Both in terms of feel and metal removal. Just a thought.

The Arashiyama would be my next choice as it is harder and more aggressive feeling than the Kitayama. Not that the Kitayama is not a capable stone, it is and it is the synthetic finishing stone that I use the most. But, for me, it is all about making cohesive sets. :)

Anyway, the 400/800/3k combo is a killer set.

Sounds like you are having fun, and thats the most important. Ever thought about Jnats? They are even more fun to sharpen on !

Sounds fun, might want to use your new coarse stone for thinning next time vs the Atoma;)

Sounds like you are having fun, and thats the most important. Ever thought about Jnats? They are even more fun to sharpen on !

I haven’t thought about Jnats yet....I want to focus of getting a complete progression of stones and knives first. Also, aren’t they ridiculously expensive? What are the benefits over synthetics?

Sounds fun, might want to use your new coarse stone for thinning next time vs the Atoma;)

Yeah, the Atoma is a handful and roughly as hell. I just wanted to play with thinning and didn’t have anything coarser than my 800. I’ll be getting a Chosera 400 soon.

The 5k is very different from the others. Softer, tactile feedback almost none. You just don't feel or hear whether the last burr remnants are gone. Very expensive. Better go from the 2k or 3k (+/- JIS 3 and 4k) straight to the Junpaku 8k, or a Belgian Coticule. The only Chosera I never use anymore, and certainly never would buy again.

The 5k is very different from the others. Softer, tactile feedback almost none. You just don't feel or hear whether the last burr remnants are gone. Very expensive. Better go from the 2k or 3k (+/- JIS 3 and 4k) straight to the Junpaku 8k, or a Belgian Coticule. The only Chosera I never use anymore, and certainly never would buy again.

I’ve heard the same things from people as well. Many have said it doesn’t belong in the Chosera line. I’m open to other 6-8k Stones, but another question. Would I get about the same results if I just got a buffalo strop with some 8k compound? Seems like a cheaper way to go, but I could be wrong....always learning!!!!

I feel like there is still some open question
as to what the finish of Chosera 3k really is...?

In the same way the 800 seems to have a wide (.8-1.2k)
range the 3k seems to do 3-5k type work, at least when
when you read about how people use it.

(I've used it, but don't have enough experience
w/it to add much more)

I feel like there is still some open question
as to what the finish of Chosera 3k really is...?

In the same way the 800 seems to have a wide (.8-1.2k)
range the 3k seems to do 3-5k type work, at least when
when you read about how people use it.

(I've used it, but don't have enough experience
w/it to add much more)

On paper, according to what is floating around on the internet, it is a 4 micron stone. Depending on which version of the JIS chart you look at (which revision) that could make it a 3k or a 4k. In use I find that it is on par with more than a few stones in its range 3-5k. I am sure there is a lot more to how these things work than what is written on a chart though. I guess that is why with stones you see a variation in how people describe them and the edges/finishes that they give.

From my personal experience with the Chosera 800, it feels and finishes more like a 1k-1200. I’ve heard that all the Choseras produce a higher than labeled grit rating. I’ve heard the Chosera 400 is more like 500-600 grit finish and the Chosera 3000 is a 3k-4K grit rating. I don’t have personal experience with either the 400 or 3k though.

damn, why's the chosera 3k gotta be so much more expensive than the other synthetics in that range, haha

Will still probably be my first med-high grit stone

Amazon has those cheaper than everyone a lot of the time, not just CKTG.

Yes, I figured that was a given. Mark is known for offering the same products but cheaper than his competitors. My point is that if saving a few bucks is important to you might as well go get the same thing at amazon if their isn’t a particular vender you would prefer to support.

I’ve heard the same things from people as well. Many have said it doesn’t belong in the Chosera line. I’m open to other 6-8k Stones, but another question. Would I get about the same results if I just got a buffalo strop with some 8k compound? Seems like a cheaper way to go, but I could be wrong....always learning!!!!
I don't use those very fine ones for polishing, use no single-bevelled. Only for stropping and deburring carbons as touch-ups, or last deburring with an occasional stainless. In the last case you want to abrade the burr remnants with longitudinal strokes. Don't think that can be achieved by stropping only. So you'll need a stone. Belgian Coticule is a good unexpensive alternative to the Junpaku 8k for that particular usage.

But are there not shipping charges involved with Amazon?

It depends but often times yes. I use amazon enough that prime is useful and offers free shipping on many items. A lot of items direct from Japan don't qualify but some do.

It depends but often times yes. I use amazon enough that prime is useful and offers free shipping on many items. A lot of items direct from Japan don't qualify but some do. :2cents:
I haven't used Amazon that much but that Prime might be worth looking into if it saves on shipping.

Back