Counterfeit knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgePatron

Reaction score
Hey all! I am new to the world of knives and kitchen, so I came up to be very suspicious with an order i made online. I found a store in a city near me which happens to supposedly sell Shun Kaji knives stainless and damascus in 70% discount. In excitement I ordered the offer of the damascus steel knives saying the set of 5 from 1000 euros only 300. Then I started searching to find any same models because the handles those knives have are special and I could not find any picture of shun kaji knives with such handles, then I noticed in other kaji series knives that for example the chefs model code is KDM0006 and the Santoku is kdm 0004 ok? In the pics of the knives I ordered all have the same model code KDM0006. Anyway I wish to hear your opinions on the matter and suggest me how to move when the package arrives, I dont want to end up spending 300 euros on fake shuns. Thanks in advance for your time!

https://www.homeone.gr/set-macha-ria-chef-5-tmch-kai-shun-kaji-kdm0006.html/

That is the link of the knives from the store.

No offense but I wouldn't spend 300 euros on real Shuns...guess would be an older model but I have no idea.

To my knowledge the Kaiji line is an exclusive product of Williams Sonoma, a nationwide retailer in the states. That's not to say Shun may not offer it in some other markets worldwide. I've not seen that particular handle configuration on any Shun, anywhere, but again that's not to say it's not genuine. I've played the knife game a little bit and have not seen a case of counterfeit knives. Have seen more than a few forged ones though.

Can certainly say it's not Damascus though it may have a dammy layer on the outside about the thickness of a gum wrapper. Adds nothing but bling and price to the knife.

After receipt of the knives, if you like them that's a good thing. If you don't then return them if that's available to you. Can't argue with Chinacats assessment of them.

I’ve been buying/selling Shuns off eBay as a hobby for 5 years. I’ve never seen that handle before. You could probably contact Kai and send them a link to verify. I’d pass on most Shuns regardless, I’d reccomend Miyabi instead

Thanks all of you guys for the suggestions. I am considering of not accepting the package when it arrives and buy something else instead, ofcourse damascus steel. What suggestions do you guys have for me? One is miyabi which interests me alot. And any european retailers to get them. Thanks

The thing is it is supposed to be a discount and the original price is a thousand for the set

George,

At the top of this subforum is a sticky called the 'which knife should I buy questionnaire'. Full it out and you'll get answers tailored to your wants/tastes/needs. May be best to just start a new thread.

As to the Shuns, have you seen them for 1k? Most sets are just used to help a company unload unnecessary knives. How many knives do you need?

Cheers

Right now there are counterfeit globals for sale on "marktplaats" in holland. Super badly done just stamped knives with cheap plastic scales. Looks nothing like a real one. Seems to me from the same source that makes the Rosenbaum and Breitenbach knife cases that are sold door to door. Apparently people payed up to 750 euro for those. So there is some scamming going on in the kitchen knife world, just haven't seen any fakes in a webstore yet.

"Rosenbaum and Breitenbach knife cases"

Oh yeah. There are so many scrap brands using names that sound like traditional german forges.... that these actual traditional german makers get overlooked. For shame.

Latest posts

Back