Quantcast
Japanese chefs NOT using pinch-grip - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese chefs NOT using pinch-grip

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Last night one of sous chefs on IC for Morimoto was doing some fine cutting with a yangi and was using the point grip.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I use that particular grip a lot, especially when doing precision/tip work with a longer knife. I realized the other day I hold my 270s in five different ways, depending on the task, and two of them involve "pointing" with my index finger for better control (especially when peeling grapes, slicing garlic, and other small-scale tasks).

During the credits on Avec Eric he uses a pinch grip in the opening for a chiffonade and in the closing he uses a point grip for a tomato and pinch grip for a pepper..

sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding your thought here, because I see it the opposite way.

Generally speaking, when using a pinch grip choked up on the blade, more leverage comes from your arm/hand to do the work versuse a gentle grip farther back on the handle better utilizes the leverage of the blade.
    My thinking is that a full grip(hammer grip) encourages a firm grip. A pinch grip, on the other hand, just utilizes the thumb and index finger on the blade resulting in a very "soft" grip, with the rest of the hand more or less just along for the ride. When power is needed, as in chopping up chunks of meat with a cleaver, a full grip is used, and when doing delicate cuts, like with mincing garlic, the hand moves toward the blade, using less power and more finesse.
    That is my feeling on it, and how it seems to work for me. YMMV, however!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Engorged Member
    Anybody remember the video of the guy peeling onions w/ what looked like a 210mm suji? If could find the video I would post it....some amazing nice skills.

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    My thinking is that a full grip(hammer grip) encourages a firm grip. A pinch grip, on the other hand, just utilizes the thumb and index finger on the blade resulting in a very "soft" grip, with the rest of the hand more or less just along for the ride. When power is needed, as in chopping up chunks of meat with a cleaver, a full grip is used, and when doing delicate cuts, like with mincing garlic, the hand moves toward the blade, using less power and more finesse.
    That is my feeling on it, and how it seems to work for me. YMMV, however!
    We'll have to agree to disagree, as we have opposing views on this--but that makes it more interesting as it wouldn't be any fun if everyone did things the exact same way.

My 'hammer' or 'pointer' grip is very light and not aggressive at all...in fact, although all my fingers are wrapped around the handle, only my thumb and middle/ring fingers do most of the holding/guiding.

Any grip is what you make of it though, so whatever works. I just noticed that Japanese knives benefit from light grip on the handle to utilize the blade's own weight in the cut better.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Anybody remember the video of the guy peeling onions w/ what looked like a 210mm suji? If could find the video I would post it....some amazing nice skills.

Pesky
    Do you mean Chef Sakai peeling an apple with his Nenox?

Engorged Member
    It was a video posted on the other forum about a year ago. Truly amazing.

This one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Any grip is what you make of it though, so whatever works. I just noticed that Japanese knives benefit from light grip on the handle to utilize the blade's own weight in the cut better.
    This is the crux of the matter- keeping a light touch and letting the tool do the work. Like the old saying goes, "stroke it, don't choke it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig