Quantcast
Zakuri blue #1 kurouchi gyuto NKD - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zakuri blue #1 kurouchi gyuto NKD

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    The stone progression this time around was all synthetic. Gesshin 400, naniwa akamon 1k, king 6k, kitiyama, JKS 10k. I'm going to pull out the natural stones next time around after the right side bevel gets worked out a bit.
    i haven't tried the JKS 10k, but try the kitayama after the 10k stone, next time. i'd be interested to hear how it works for you, as i, like Dave, find that it works very well after a 10k (though i often follow my green brick with the Kit, too, and end there).

Quote Originally Posted by skewed View Post
    ...I need to jump in and do this to a couple of my knives with the fuax kasumi large double bevels.
    What do you mean by "faux kasumi?"

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What do you mean by "faux kasumi?"
    i'm assuming he means knives that have been machine frosted and polished. i had a Yoshihiro Blue wa-gyuto that had been frosted and polished to look like kasumi, beneath the kurouchi cladding. it looked much better after i took it to stones.

That's cheap kasumi method from maker, I think. With cladding, no need for faux, can go real.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i'm assuming he means knives that have been machine frosted and polished. i had a Yoshihiro Blue wa-gyuto that had been frosted and polished to look like kasumi, beneath the kurouchi cladding. it looked much better after i took it to stones.
    Yeah- that. The frosted bead (sand?) blasted area between the kurouchi and the edge. I have a couple of Tojiro shirogami knives and a Zakuri with this finish.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    That's cheap kasumi method from maker, I think. With cladding, no need for faux, can go real.
    you'd be surprised how many use methods like this... sometimes you cant even tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    you'd be surprised how many use methods like this... sometimes you cant even tell.
    Abundance!

But not easily replicated at home ... So go real on stone is just one option.

Hide's videos, part of the process I think:

And a home use version from So:

Nice review! I've been eyeing one of those for awhile. I have one of there boning knives and have been very happy. I also removed that stupid faux kasumi sandblasted finish, but I noticed that it was much less obnoxious than the finish on the tojiro ITK (which was very rough and hid some very deep grind marks.

Double post
    Last edited by Justin0505; 07-08-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    ... And a home use version from So:

Do you know's being used here? I'm guessing the '#1500' is some kind of polishing paste (diamond?) and the two bits of wood are probably on the soft stuff (balsa?).

+ Reply to Thread